From Jackson TN to Gresham OR

Just ask! Volunteer mentors are here to share their knowledge and experience.
KelliAppleton

From Jackson TN to Gresham OR

Post by KelliAppleton » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:34 am

I know that is a LOOONNNNGGG trip. Our group has only ever used ground pet transport companies so this is a new experience for us.

We have a shep/collie mix, about 8 months old and around 40 pounds, who needs to travel from a foster home in Jackson TN to his adopter in Gresham OR. At first I just put this on the ride board but I've not had one hit on it. Upon further research I realize that it is probably because that is too long of a trip. Can you advise me on how to break it down. Also, the dog does not have to leave from Jackson TN, we can drive a bit to meet a pilot. Additionally, the dog does not have to arrive in Gresham, the adopter can drive a bit too.

Can you help this first timer put together this fairly complicated transport for a very sweet adopter and her very sweet dog?

Kelli Appleton
Vice President, Foster and Adoptions Coordinator for Saving The Animals Together

robertam
PNP Transport Advisor
Zip Code: 40502
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: From Jackson TN to Gresham OR

Post by robertam » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:11 pm

Hi Kelly!

This is a long transport and while they certainly can be coordinated, they generally take longer. I think the first thing I'd do is go back to your post Requesting Transport Assistance and in the upper left side you'll see, in red letters, "Map This Request." Click on that and it will take you to a map showing your starting point and your ending point and there will be airplane icons, used to indicate pilots[even though there is only one icon there could be multiple pilots at that location and when you click on the plane icon it will take you to the first pilot and will indicate[look in bottom right corner], and the other icon identifies PNP volunteers who can help with fostering, etc. You will need to enlarge the areas as you work your way through the route so you can identify the pilots[you'll see what I mean]].
Go to plane icons close to your starting point[Jackson, TN], click on the icon, it will open and show you whether there is one or more pilots at that particular location[airport]. The page will have the pilots username and other links. You can click on "request transport assistance" and send a message to that pilot requesting assistance with this transport. For one this long be sure to note it is a multi-segment/leg transport, indicate you are inquiring whether they can assist by flying a segment and if so, which leg[from where to where][of course if you are sending a PM to first leg pilot, just say first leg]], and ask about their availability. I make a chart[if you go to the beginning of this Forum, you'll see a posting about documents-it is the planning chart] to keep track of which pilots I've contacted, possible leg they could fly and their response. Just send individual PMs to pilots all along the route and see what happens.
A posting to this forum lists some websites that are helpful when coordinating a transport. The list includes one that can help you figure out nautical miles between locations. In the pilot profiles that you access by clicking on the airplane icon some pilots include information about distances, which are listed in nautical miles[nm].
In addition, there is a forum where pilots post notices when they are heading to specific locations and can make it a transport. I can't remember the name of the forum, but if you return to the Board Index you'll find it easily as the title is a dead giveaway.

I hope this information helps. Hope I didn't give you too much information.

Good luck!

Roberta
PNP Advisor
Roberta Harding
PNP Transport Advisor
Kentucky Animal Relief Fund, Inc.
Lexington, KY
e-mail: [email protected]
cell: 859-338-3470

robertam
PNP Transport Advisor
Zip Code: 40502
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: From Jackson TN to Gresham OR

Post by robertam » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:25 pm

Kelly: You can find the planning chart as an attachment to the first posting in this forum.
Also here is a link to a website that is helpful when coordinating PNP transports; especially long ones: http://www.gcmap.com/. And if you go back to the Board Index and go to "Transports" and then click on "Space Planned" that is where you can find information about where and when pilots are headed to and from specific locations.

Best of luck!

Roberta
Roberta Harding
PNP Transport Advisor
Kentucky Animal Relief Fund, Inc.
Lexington, KY
e-mail: [email protected]
cell: 859-338-3470