dog with diabetes

Just ask! Volunteer mentors are here to share their knowledge and experience.
Dldaq

dog with diabetes

Post by Dldaq » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:45 am

Hi,

I have been fostering a dog who has diabetes(and is deaf and was blind but my rescue did cataract surgery) She has an approved adopter in Houston, TX and I am located in Pittsburgh PA. Because it really will take a special person to adopt my foster, Lacey, because of all her medical issues, I would like to try to make this happen for her. My question is HOW I would be able to transport as Lacey gets her insulin shots every 12 hours. It sounds like there can not be a guarantee that she would only be in transport for under 12 hours.

Any ideas or help?

deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor
Zip Code: 46254
Foster?: No
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: dog with diabetes

Post by deeogee1 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:18 am

Yes-there are no guarantees between weather or unforeseen mechanical issues.
At just under 1000 nm, you would need 4(+/-) pilots and most likely an overnight foster. So in your request you would need to specify that those involved are able to administer the insulin.

I would also suggest contacting PAART http://pittrescue.org since they do some flights for PNP and may have some advice regarding a transport of this length.

I do hope you can make this happen. I have seen many times where pilots are so willing to go that extra mile to help "special" pets get home.

Joanne