2 Advisors here to help

Just ask! Volunteer mentors are here to share their knowledge and experience.
deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor
Zip Code: 46254
Foster?: No
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: 3 Advisors here to help

Post by deeogee1 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:38 pm

HI Ellen,
You will need the zip codes for the sending location & the receiving location.

Once you are logged in, go into the section listed below & click the New Topic box in the upper left corner. Fill in the info requested & submit it.

Ride Board: Animals Needing Transport

This Forum is for POSTING REQUESTS FOR TRANSPORT OF NEEDY ANIMALS. Please put the sending and receiving CITY, STATE and ZIP CODES in your subject line. Include the size, weight, HEALTH CONDITION of the animal/s in need, nearby airports if known, email and phone contacts to arrange the trip, date transport is needed, and any other pertinent information in your post for transport request. Health certificates and proof of vaccines are necessary in most states. Refer to the link under the Guidelines section for USDA requirements for each state. This is the responsibility of the person making the request.

Then once it's posted, go to your requestst and at the top click on the orange More Mapping Options. This opens a page where you can choose the option to Display Map of Pilots . By clicking on any plane, that pilot's info box pops up and then you can access their profile & send them an email through PNP. (Copying & pasting works best here since the more pilots you contact, the better your chances are of filling the transport).

dognclog

Post by dognclog » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:37 pm

Quick question: how do I move a message from 'drafts' to 'post'? I've got it saved in drafts, but don't see any mechanism to get it to post.
Thanks!

deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor

Post by deeogee1 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:06 pm

dognclog wrote:Quick question: how do I move a message from 'drafts' to 'post'? I've got it saved in drafts, but don't see any mechanism to get it to post.
Thanks!
Go to User Control Panel
On the list on the left hand side there is a list of Options. Click on Manage Drafts & from there you can load your draft or edit it.

Sally Mayes

Post by Sally Mayes » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:49 pm

I am new to this and have posted for a transport. How soon does the post appear.

Sally Mayes

Post by Sally Mayes » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:06 pm

I thought I posted the request but I just noticed that it said invalid zip code.....do I need to put in the zip code of the closest airport instead of the zip code of the receiving party? And did the post go through?

deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor

Post by deeogee1 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:18 pm

Sally Mayes wrote:I am new to this and have posted for a transport. How soon does the post appear.
Your post will appear right after you have clicked submit.
I thought I posted the request but I just noticed that it said invalid zip code.....do I need to put in the zip code of the closest airport instead of the zip code of the receiving party? And did the post go through?
Your request did not post because of the invalid zip. Is there more than one zip for the city of the receiver? Try a different zip if there is.
Once you hit submit, you'll get a message something like: This message has been posted successfully View your submitted message or return to last forum visited.

BARC

Post by BARC » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:08 pm

On one answer you said : "You can also directly contact pilots/volunteers along the route your transport takes. Click the red "Map this request" message at the top left of your post. A map will open that shows the route & where members are located. Click on the icon & a box opens giving you that person's info so you can email them or send a private message."

Is there a way to send an email to say all the pilots in the Dallas area at once or do I have to send an individual eamil to each one?
Thanks,
Pam

deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor

Post by deeogee1 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:10 pm

Pam,
If you are sending the email through the profile of the pilot, you can only email that pilot. That's why we suggest copy & paste your message. (For security reasons, the message is sent through a PNP email acct to that pilot. Your email addy will show & if he chooses to reply, then you will see his email addy.)
However, you can PM multiple pilots in one message if you know their member names.

I also now suggest using the orange More Mapping Options on the right side now as it gives you more options to search for people to contact. :)

Joanne

fancydals

Post by fancydals » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:37 pm

I posted a transport request, checked this whole site, asked another person if my dog could tag along, and to be honest, all I have gotten is smacked around.. This is all newto me (flying) as I have coordinated transports by ground across country. I own many transport lists on yahoo, in which we 'hold' a newbies hand
What do I try to do next? I had one offer, for part of the trip, but I have no clue how to coordinate pilots if I can even find any. This is for a puppymill Frenchie from Dallas to Chicago area or anywhere even close

Sara

deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor

Post by deeogee1 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:57 pm

Sara,
Roberta prepared this answer for you & then couldn't get it posted & asked me to do it. ;)
Sara:

I will do my best to provide some tips to make it easier for you to locate pilots for your transport.

-return to your posting on the “Request for Transport” Index
-click on your posting to open it

-once it is opened, look for the light blue horizontal bar that is right above the list line your transport request. On the left hand side, you’ll see “Map this Request” in red type. To the right of this you’ll see “More Mapping Options,” written in orange type.

-click on the “More Mapping Options” link

-now a screen will appear and at the top it has the departure city information and at the bottom the destination city information. Under this you will see many links. First I usually go to the fourth one down-“List of Pilots Between [City, State(Departure)] and [City, State(Destination)]”-click on the link to open it and then print the document. I then use this list to keep track of which pilots are possibly most directly on my route and also to record my dealings with each pilot[date contacted about assisting with transport, date heard back, response, dates available, etc.]

-Now that I have my trusty list, I return to the screen and click on the first link, which is titled “Map Pilots Between [Name of Departure City and State] and [Name of Destination City and State].”

-when this screen opens, it might take a moment for the pilot icons and data to download, but it will download, you will see a map of your route with blue plane shaped icons dotted along, and near, it. Then I go to the zoom function—it is there on the left side of the map- and ever so carefully, and slightly, move the mechanism to “zoom in” to enlarge the map some. I find this helpful, not only because I can’t see well, but also because if the areas I am looking at have a lot of pilots, this function spreads them out more, providing a better visual about their exact location. But be careful, don’t zoom too quickly or you’ll find yourself in another country, as I have on occasion.

-then I start clicking on the plane icons along my route. When the first one opens, a rectangular box will appear. The pilot’s name/identifier is shown as is the city and state where his/her plane is located. You’ll also typically see the airport identifier code for that location. If you click on “View Profile for [name],” you can then find out different information about the pilot, will s/he foster, typically overnight, as well as fly, and the maximum number of nm[nautical miles] the pilot can fly one way could be listed. Right below this information you will find “Email [Pilot’s Name/Code].” If you click on this, then you can send the pilot an e-mail containing your request for assistance.” The PNP website automatically sends this message to the pilot’s e-mail. Under this you’ll see “Send Private Message.” If you click on this, you can use PNP’s PM system to contact pilots. If you close out this screen, you will be returned to the rectangular box dedicated to that pilot that popped up when you clicked on that particular plane icon.”Request Transport Assistance” appears underneath “View Profile for [name].” Clicking on this link takes you directly to the Private Message[PM] system and you can send a PM to that pilot.

-I usually send a request for transport assistance e-mail or PM to each pilot separately. But, to save time, I go to the word processing file I set up for the transport, open it and write out the message or messages I will need to send to the different pilots. For example, if I am trying to fly a dog from Lexington, KY to Columbus, OH, then I might write out a message like: “Hi [name to be added, if provided]! I am trying to set up a PNP transport for NIckey, a 25 lb neutered male pug mix, from Lexington, KY to Columbus, OH. I was wondering whether you might be available to fly Nickey on
  • , or alternatively, I was was wondering whether you might be able to fly NIckey. If so, what dates work best for you?
    Thank you!

Roberta
    e-mail: I provide my e-mail address
    cell number: I provide this too

Now I just copy it and then paste it into the body of the message or e-mail I send to each pilot. After I send each one, I record the “date sent” information on the list of pilots I printed earlier.

If I have a multiple leg transport, then I draft however many messages I need, they roughly correspond to the different legs/segments of the route. Then when I return to the “Display Map of Pilots” and I click on a plane icon, I’ll know which version of the message I need to send to that particular pilot, Then I just go back to my document, copy and paste and send it via PM or e-mail to that pilot. OF course, I record the date sent data on my list.

I know it probably sounds like a lot of work, but it really goes by a lot faster than one might think.

If you use the PM option to communicate with pilots, it is very helpful if you click the “notify me when a response is posted,” or words to that effect, box. This way you’ll be less likely to miss a response from a pilot; especially if you uaren’t sure you can check your private message box on a daily basis.

Over time, as you work with more and more pilots, you’ll end up with quite a collection of e-mail addresses. Then you can directly contact these pilots. But despite having worked with a lot of pilots, I still use the “Map this Request” and “More Mapping Options” functions a lot. I always seem to be looking for pilots: sometimes some pilots might not be flying for awhile; others move to different parts of the country and are no longer available for that particular route; and often you find yourself trying to get an animal someplace. They are also a great way to get to know the pilots, which to me is a real perk because if it wasn’t for them, I know I most certainly would not have been able to save as many animals as I have.
    I hope you find this information helpful. I realize it is lengthy and I’ve probably provided more than you ever wanted.
    Good luck!

Roberta
    PNP Advisor