Database/Mission Lookup?

A general discussion forum for all members interested in transporting needy animals.
Forum rules
Do not post transport requests here. Post them in Ride Board.
PilotChip
Zip Code: 92026
Foster?: No
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KCRQ
Distance willing to fly one way: 200

Database/Mission Lookup?

Post by PilotChip » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:15 pm

I was wondering if pilotsnpaws will be developing a mission database lookup similar to http://www.AngelFlightWest.org?

This would streamline the mission posting/request process and such.

Just an idea, I know you all have a lot of things going on to get this great organization running smoothly! :D
Jason Chipkin | San Diego, CA | Flight Tracker: CMF01
Serving Southern California, Nevada and Arizona

Jon

Re: Database/Mission Lookup?

Post by Jon » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:49 pm

Pilot Chip,

As you have probably figured out we have been juggling a lot of balls in the air. You may have also figured out we are involved in on the job training. Almost all of the good ideas have come from folks like yourself. This is a site we envisioned for both pilots and rescues and if you have an idea about how to make it more user friendly we are open to those ideas. We on the board are only "caretakers".

If you know how to create and implement such a feature please share it with us. None of us (I don't think) is really computer or web site savvy although we are all trying to learn. Keep in mind one thing. Any features should be self sustaining. We have no full time employees and none of us makes a cent from maintaining and developing pilots n paws so we rely on others to assist us. If an idea is meritorious we just need to figure a way to get it done. Look at what a great job folks like Steve Foley have done with the pilot map.

Jon

Steve Foley
Webmaster
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by Steve Foley » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:20 pm

PilotChip wrote:I was wondering if pilotsnpaws will be developing a mission database lookup similar to http://www.AngelFlightWest.org?
This would streamline the mission posting/request process and such.
:D
Right now, the best way to locate a mission is to use the transport request map at the bottom of the main page www.pilotsnpaws.org .This has clickable routes where people have requested transports. Unfortunately, it requires someone to update the requests with a special code to place it on the map, so it may not have all of the requests listed.

If you click on 'larger map' you can zoom in to your specific area. Clicking on one of the blue lines will bring up the original request.

Hope that helps.

wayne
Pilot?: Yes
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by wayne » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:36 pm

I'm working on just such a system for Pilots n Paws. It's getting there, but not ready for prime time yet.
Wayne
LinkedIn