What am I doing wrong?

A general discussion forum for all members interested in transporting needy animals.
Forum rules
Do not post transport requests here. Post them in Ride Board.
xdiannex

What am I doing wrong?

Post by xdiannex » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:16 am

I have yet to get a successful transport via air. I'm looking for someone going between central Jersey to Beckley, WV (25802) and simply have not been able to find anyone for months. Every time I try and the shelter is overrun and euthanizing, there never seems to be any response. Am I just looking in a "dead zone"? It only takes 8 hrs by car, but I have so many fosters in rescue I can't really leave for 2 days so I have to rely on other means of getting animals to safety. Should I be doing anything different? Just asking for advice...

Dianne
S&L Animal Rescue

arizonabsd
Zip Code: 85735
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Post by arizonabsd » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:01 am

Hi Dianne,

I don't think it's so much doing "wrong" as it is that not enough is done, so in answer to your 2nd question, yes, you need to do differently. If you are posting in the correct forum, that is, Ride Board: Animals Needing Transport, it's a good start. Double check that you're in the Ride Board Forum. Also, don't keep re-posting. Once is all it takes. If you need to make revisions use the edit button instead.

You MUST name the origin and destination in the subject line. In looking at your posts, none of your requests contain that information. BE PRECISE about locations; central Jersey is not a city so it doesn't help a pilot decide whether he or she can be of assistance.

You MUST check your posts several times a day. You actually received offers from two pilots the very same day you posted a request about 6 pups. Not checking in lost you that transport.

You need an idea of routing and how many legs a transport will require
. Divide the total nautical miles by 300 (the average leg is 250-300nm) to determine how many pilots you'll need. Transports longer than 700 nm may require an overnight foster so be sure you have volunteers available along the route for that, and for getting dogs to/from airports. If dogs need pulled from shelters you will have to arrange for that yourself with local volunteers or the shelter; nobody here pulls animals on behalf of rescue organizations.

Contact pilots directly rather than simply waiting for them to read your posts. Know the routing and look for pilots every 300nm along that path. Note that commercial airports are rarely used; look for public municipal airports.

Sign your posts so pilots will know with whom they're communicating.

There's more but the above can get you started in the right direction. Additional information can be found in the Rescue Forum and by clicking on "rescue" in the menu near the top of the page.

Best wishes; I hope this information helps. You're welcome to email me privately if you have other questions.
Lynnette Bennett
North American Belgian Sheepdog Rescue
[email protected]

xdiannex

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Post by xdiannex » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:45 am

Lynette,

Hmmm...I've done most of what you mention. Everyone I talk to that uses PNP seems to have their "own pilot" that they use on a regular basis - guess I just have to make that connection. I say only central Jersey in this post because I would travel to an airport in that general vicinity, but in my specific posts I do put the zip code to my local airport. It seems everyone that has utilized this program that I know must have just gotten lucky in that their pilots do the entire run from Jersey to WV in one fell swoop without dividing the trip into legs. I also checked the regular runs in case I was missing someone doing a regular trek, but I'm not that lucky. I haven't given up yet though. I have 2 small airports within 5 miles of me. Maybe I should just stop in and post something on the board or speak with the manager to have them spread the word.

Still Trying!
Dianne
S&L Animal Rescue