PILOTS, tax information for your records

Guidelines and tips from Pilots N Paws members to help with rescue transports.
admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

PILOTS, tax information for your records

Post by admin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:47 pm

Hi Pilots,

We have been asked by pilots to please put this information up here for those who need it. Early on we did have our Corporation name listed however, in the move to the new website, I think it has become buried in other postings.

For those who need this information for your tax records:

Www Pilotsnpaws Org Incorporated
tax ID #26-3754228

Here is the link for our listing under the IRS site for Charitable Organizations and Non-profits:

http://tinyurl.com/7a4uzhm

If you have any questions, please feel free to forward them to us, we will do our best to answer them. As always, thank you for giving these animals a second chance to find a loving home. You are greatly appreciated.

Board of Directors, Pilots N Paws

Commander112

Re: PILOTS, tax information for your records

Post by Commander112 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:03 am

Would you please explain how the tax deduction works and what can be claimed on taxes.

Thank you,

Pit$bull

Post by Pit$bull » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:07 am

Commander112 wrote:Would you please explain how the tax deduction works and what can be claimed on taxes.

Thank you,
Please see This for more information regarding the FAA opinion on pilots use of our 501c3 tax status.

kshaw
Zip Code: 20878
Foster?: No
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KGAI

Post by kshaw » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:17 pm

I ran across a rather in-depth article written by two attorneys in the Washington DC area on deductability of flight expenses for charitable causes. It was published by the National Business Aviation Association. I have their permission for you to publish the article here if you wish. Administrators, contact me via PM if you are interested.

Kent Shaw, CPA
Kent
PA-28-161 N9396C (KGAI)

admin
Site Admin
Pilot?: No

Post by admin » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:14 pm

kshaw wrote:I ran across a rather in-depth article written by two attorneys in the Washington DC area on deductability of flight expenses for charitable causes. It was published by the National Business Aviation Association. I have their permission for you to publish the article here if you wish. Administrators, contact me via PM if you are interested.
Kent Shaw, CPA
Per Kent's email communication, we are posting the article written by the law firm listed below and originally published with the NBAA. Both the NBAA and the author of the article have given permission for this to be posted on Pilots N Paws. Thank you for sharing this article Kent, for others to read and garner additional knowledge.

From attorney John R. Copley:
I have communicated with both John Hoover and NBAA where the article was originally posted. There are no objections to your posting the article on your website. Thank you for your inquiry and we hope the article proves useful to your members.--
John R. Copley
Garofalo Goerlich Hainbach PC
1200 New Hampshire Avenue
Washington, DC 20036
Tel: 202-776-3970
Fax: 202-776-3975
Email: [email protected]

(Caveat: Pilots N Paws is only sharing this article with permission and is in no manner responsible for it's content)
Attachments
Charitable_Flights.pdf
Article on Charitable Flights tax interpretations
(104.38 KiB) Downloaded 3536 times

JSumeracki

Post by JSumeracki » Mon May 04, 2015 2:57 pm

Does anyone use the straight POV (government) aircraft mileage reimbursement rate for calculating their donation value?

http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/100715

I drive 40-50,000 miles on my private car for business and use this method (less reimbursements) to deduct business use of my car on the Form 2106. Seems to me like as we get absolutely NO reimbursement at all for Pilot's and Paws flights, we would be entitled to the entire $1.29/mile (*1.15 for Statute Miles)???

A2G2Bill
Zip Code: 32566
Airport identifier: 2R4

Post by A2G2Bill » Sat May 16, 2015 6:01 pm

That's the business use rate. For cars the IRS lists the charitable use rate at $.14/mile but I have not been able to find a charitable use rate for airplanes.

wilburwong
Zip Code: 93444
Airport identifier: KPRB
Distance willing to fly one way: 100

Post by wilburwong » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:57 pm

Is there a form on this website that has or allows you to fill in the necessary information? I rent the planes that I use for these flights and keep my own record of my costs associated with each flight.

The previous posts, have (2) "legal" documents on interpretations; would be nice to have it in plain English.

Finally, I have noticed that NOT everyone posting ride request(s) are necessarily 501c3 and I am also wondering if some are just posting hoping for a ride.
Wilbur Wong
[email protected]
858-254-0825 mobile
KSBP / KSMX

RickG
Zip Code: 27705
Airport identifier: 8NC8

Post by RickG » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:50 pm

Wilbur:

Here's a link to a fill-in form to keep track of your flight(s):
http://pilotsnpaws.org/flightform_fill-inNEW.pdf

You are correct in not all groups making transport requests are non-profit organizations ... and some that say they are ... aren't. Your "contribution" can be to Pilots N Paws regardless of the group's status, although your own preference may be to only fly for legitimate non-profits. What you want to keep in mind is none of the requests are "vetted" - that due diligence falls to us as pilots. I answered a few questions for another pilot in this post (http://www.pilotsnpaws.org/forum/viewto ... =3&t=37667) - you may find it helpful.

Rick
Durham, NC (8NC8)
C172 VFR

K9Wingman
Zip Code: 94920
Airport identifier: CA35

In simple terms, what can I deduct

Post by K9Wingman » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:46 pm

Sorry... would like to try to keep this as simple as possible.

If I donate $100 cash to a legitimate nonprofit (i.e. St. Judes, ASPCA, Peta), I can claim that $100 as a charitable donation on my taxes.

SO...
If I fly a rescue flight for P&P and it costs me $500 "cash" (fuel, maintenance, insurance, hangar, TBO savings, etc...) can I also claim $500 as a charitable donation?

OR...
If I flew a total of 50 hours in 2016, and 25 hours were P&P rescue flights, can I deduct 50% of ALL my expenses/costs as a charitable deduction? What if I only flew 5 hours, could I take 10% of my total expenses as a charitable deduction?

I'm reading and reading, and so many responses and posts on IRS Tax codes, etc, but I'm not sure why the answer has to be so difficult. If we are spending actual "cash" to fly the plane for legitimate rescue, can we not deduct the amount that it costs us to make the flight(s)?

Thanks in advance!
-Scott
Scott Beauchamp
Cirrus SR20, based SF Bay Area (San Rafael, CA35), non-instrument rated
c: 310-880-7475
[email protected]