LINK TO FIND PILOTS! Just put in City, State, Zip!!

Guidelines and tips from Pilots N Paws members to help with rescue transports.
admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

LINK TO FIND PILOTS! Just put in City, State, Zip!!

Post by admin » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:25 pm

Morning All,

Our wonderful pilot friend Steve Foley has been working diligently on various maps to make it easier for all of us to search for pilots in the area we are needing transport. I cannot thank Steve enough for all his hard work in establishing these maps.

This latest map is a wonderful resource for locating a pilot/pilots between the departure and arrival points of the transport you are requesting. All you have to do is put in the city, state and zip code, click on the find button and a map will come up showing the various pilots available. When you click on the airplane pins, the pilot contact information comes up!!

Truly, this is going to make it much easier for everyone and will give us all a faster recall of which pilot is where and how to contact them. THANK YOU STEVE!!!!

Here's the link: http://www.pilotsnpaws.org/forum/phpbb_transport.php

Please remember to list the weights of the animals and any special needs they may have in the message section of your post. Weights and balances are important when loading a plane. Don't forget to include accurate contact information as well, communication is paramount.

One caveat, since we have had so many new pilots join (THANK YOU PILOTS) they are not all incorporated into the link as yet. I suggest that you visit the Pilot Volunteer board and scroll through the listings as well as using this link to find a pilot along the route you are needing.

Debi

Jon

Re: List City and State When Requesting a Ride

Post by Jon » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:16 am

I want to add to what Jim has posted.

If a rescue needs a transport, when the need is posted you can use the city and state or airport identifier. Either will work. But...Allow the pilot to select the specific area airports because there are many factors the pilot is considering that will influence the decision. Some airports are not general aviation friendly. They cater to commercial traffic and to discourage GA planes they have excessive fees and fuel costs. Some airports do not have the facilities a pilot needs. I once had to make a last minute change in airports when the original destination had no fuel.

Some airports do not have instrument approaches the pilot needs to land during less than ideal weather conditions.

If you want to learn about possible airports go to http://www.airnav.com/ and by entering the city name you will see the various airport options. You can also find nearby airports listed under different city names by scrolling down the airport information and finding the listing for the nearest airports and their relative locations.

Michele
Foster?: No
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KDMW

Post by Michele » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:06 am

This is really good too, if you're not familiar with the area. http://aviationtoolbox.org/old/nearby_airports. Enter the city/state, and ta da!

admin
Site Admin

RESCUES, Have you looked for Pilots on the Board?

Post by admin » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:03 pm

Just a quick note to remind those of you requesting a ride for an animal to please look at the pilots offer board and see if there is a pilot listed for either city, state of your request for transport.

The pilots have listed their contact information and many have requested that when you need them, please write to them. Most have their email contacts listed when you click on their username and others have their email or phone numbers listed on the board. One of our pilots has also created a fabulous map that shows where the generous pilots in our group are based. Here is a link for you to look at as a reference:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 707031&z=3

Let's work together to get these pups moved!

Thanks,
Debi
Last edited by CarolC on Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: new link added

Steve Foley
Webmaster
Foster?: No

Post by Steve Foley » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:01 pm

Here's the one I've been working on:

http://www.pilotsnpaws.org/forum/phpbb_transport.php

It's still pretty crude, but it's working.

Plug in city/state or zip for the origin and destination. It will generate a google map with showing the course between the two cities, and show the location of Pilots N Paws volunteers nearby.

DogDaddy

Re: NEW LINK! Find Pilot,List City, State When Requesting a Ride

Post by DogDaddy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:52 pm

Here's another link that the rescuers might find helpful, to find airport identifiers. Click on your state, then scroll down to the city/town name. It shows the airport Name in one column and the Identifier in another column. For example, for the city of Macon, GA, there is "Middle Georgia regional Airport", Identifier KMCN, and "Macon Downtown Airport" Identifier KMAC.
http://www.airnav.com/airports/us

rylan01

Re: RESCUES, Have you looked for Pilots on the Board?

Post by rylan01 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:36 am

Hello Everyone

Just to second what Debi has mentioned. Please check the pilot volunteering services board often since there are new pilots volunteering all the time and sometimes individuals like myself may post rides available.

Thanks
Sarah Murphy Case

Jon

Post by Jon » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:08 am

To piggy back on what Debi and Sarah have posted, rescues seeking transports should not limit their search to pilots at the sending end, or the receiving end but anywhere along the route.

The amount of miles and flight time is exactly the same regardless of whether the pilot is based at either end or in the middle of a route. Also, if the flight is greater than 300 to 500 miles (in a straight line between the two points) consider contacting multiple pilots due to limitations on range for some pilots or their aircraft.

admin
Site Admin

Re: LINK TO FIND PILOTS! Just put in City, State, Zip!!

Post by admin » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:21 pm

mongosmom wrote:Hello all:
I have just joined the group and completed my pilot profile. When I put in a request into the google map program to find a pilot in my area(as a way to check if I'm in the data base), my name doesn't come up as a pilot located along the depicted route. Is there a reason for this?
Thanks,
Ellen Herr
Hi Ellen and thank you for joining PNP! I went in and added the "K" to your airport identifier. That may have been the problem. I believe Steve has mentioned this in the past that certain airports must have the K listed for the map to pick up on it. Hopefully, Steve will be reading this message and he can reply. If you do not show as added to the map by tomorrow, please let me know and I will email him directly. We certainly look forward to hearing about the rescue transports you fly !

Debi

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat May 09, 2009 7:24 pm

rsqdoc58 wrote:Gosh,last time I accessed a pilot directly,I was told to post to the Board . Sorry!

M Wallace
It has always been permissable to contact a pilot directly if they have their information listed. Not sure why you were told that? Perhaps you posted it directly to the pilot under the "Pilots Volunteering Services" section of the board? In that case, you would have been asked to post it under the Animals Needing Transport section in order for the pilots scanning the board to see your request. Just trying to share the best information we can for you to have the best chance at having your request answered!

Debi