READ THESE ANNOUNCEMENTS BEFORE USING RIDE BOARD
admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: RESCUES PLEASE READ/PILOTS PLEASE ADVISE

Post by admin » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:50 pm

n.dog wrote:first, a big THANK YOU to all the pilots & volunteers. i am new to this & have no idea how to judge the distance of a flight. the flight map just shows a straight line. if i knew how to figure distance, i might be able to help with co-ordinating pilot-to-pilot transfers.
thanks,
n.
Hi there, it can be confusing at first until you learn some basic aviation terms. At the top of the Ride Board: Animals Needing Transport is a topic called Link to find airports, nautical miles, etc. Lots of good input there from pilots.

I use airnav.com to find the airports close to the flight path needed. You can see on the straight line map that you referenced the cities along the route. Use those to find the airport code, i.e. what the airport is referred to as. Always put a K in front of three lettered airport codes. Once you find the sending airport on airnav, go there and scroll down. On the right you will see a place to calculate distance between airports. Start by entering the total distance from sending to receiving locations and then break it down from there.

I am sure others have input as well. Airnav is a free site, others you need to register for. As a reminder, there is a lot of good information at the top right of each forum board page. There is an FAQ section for pilots and one for rescues/others. Pilots have a plane icon next to the name and rescues have a life preserver ring. It is very beneficial for all new members to read through both. Remember, it is always pilots choice as to airport, day and time for the flights they volunteer for. Most will choose to fly into smaller general aviation airports. However, for distance purposes, you can still use the larger city airports as references.

Thanks for all you do!

Eric27
Foster?: No

Post by Eric27 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:19 pm

As long as we are putting our two cents in, I’ll jump in.
As a pilot I look for postings with airports local to me. Then I look at the destination airport, if it’s halfway across country I normally don’t even open it. If it looks reasonable, I will start looking at the post. The next thing I look at is the number of animals and their size. If these are left out that’s normally my next stopping point, or if there are many or too large. I fly a Cessna 172, probably one of the most popular planes out there. I also drive Toyota Pickup, my pick up has more room in it that the plane. So if you are trying to transport two dogs over 50 lbs I’m out. Some pilots may be willing to put more in their plane and that’s up to them. I have a medium size create that fits well in the back seat. I have transported two 35 pound dogs in it with no problems.
Next is the weather, It’s hot out there and most small planes don’t have air conditioning in them so I don’t want to be up there for hours, nor do the dogs. So I’ll plan an early morning flight of about 2 hours max. Flying at 98 knots that puts about a 200 mile limit on me, but I have meet other pilots and passed off the dogs for another leg.
If I’m flying 2 hours out then handing off a dog or two I plan on three hours before I start my return flight. So a 200 mile trip turns out to be a 5 to 6 hour day. For most low hour small plane pilots that a full if not long day.
The best way to get a pilot, or two, to respond to your request is to have as much information posted. Look at 200 mile jumps and see if you can find foster homes along the way. Look at the pilot list, I enjoy getting requests directed to me from that list. Make foster arrangements ahead of time, if a pilot can fly further then you can cancel the foster.
Also, I see some postings that say flying would be better than driving, remember, summer heat, no air in most planes. We can’t pull over if an animal is getting sick and may not even know until we land. Last summer heat produces thermals and that can be a rough ride.
We love to fly and we love to do these transports, keep the lines of communications open and lets transport more animals.

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes

Post by admin » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:14 pm

We appreciate everyone's "two cents"! We all have a lot to learn about each other, pilots and rescues. If you can take a few minutes to read many of the posts, FAQ's etc. on this forum you will learn alot. Pilots are willing to teach you about aviation and rescues are willing to teach pilots about rescue. If we all listen, learn and work together, the program will continue to grow in a positive manner and more animals in desperate need will be helped.

A big thank you to all our volunteers!

deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor
Zip Code: 46254
Foster?: No

Post by deeogee1 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:02 pm

admin wrote:
Hi there, it can be confusing at first until you learn some basic aviation terms. At the top of the Ride Board: Animals Needing Transport is a topic called Link to find airports, nautical miles, etc. Lots of good input there from pilots.

I use airnav.com to find the airports close to the flight path needed. You can see on the straight line map that you referenced the cities along the route. Use those to find the airport code, i.e. what the airport is referred to as. Always put a K in front of three lettered airport codes. Once you find the sending airport on airnav, go there and scroll down. On the right you will see a place to calculate distance between airports. Start by entering the total distance from sending to receiving locations and then break it down from there.

I am sure others have input as well. Airnav is a free site, others you need to register for. As a reminder, there is a lot of good information at the top right of each forum board page. There is an FAQ section for pilots and one for rescues/others. Pilots have a plane icon next to the name and rescues have a life preserver ring. It is very beneficial for all new members to read through both. Remember, it is always pilots choice as to airport, day and time for the flights they volunteer for. Most will choose to fly into smaller general aviation airports. However, for distance purposes, you can still use the larger city airports as references.

Thanks for all you do!
I start by going to Kyler's nearby airport locator http://aviationtoolbox.org/old/nearby_airports to find the nearest airport. Enter the city & state and you can choose the distance to cover. A list pops up with closest to farthest airports (general aviation incl) within your specified distance. If there is one listed I'm not familiar with, I check it out on Airnav to see the condition & size of the runway(s).
Then I go to the Great Circle Mapper http://gc.kls2.com/ (another free site that I use for finding distance) with the airport codes chosen. By plugging the airport codes into the box marked "Paths" and checking "nm" (nautical miles) from the drop down box under "Path Distance", you will get the distance(s) for 1 leg or a multiple leg trip if you list each airport sequentially. You also get a map of the trip.

Clear as mud??? ;)

Joanne