From Kansas City, to Des Moines, to Canada!

Heartwarming photos and videos of our rescued friends.
hullshaven

From Kansas City, to Des Moines, to Canada!

Post by hullshaven » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:03 pm

I would like to share a great story with all of you.
I have been working with a wonderful rescuer in Adel Iowa for 2 years now. I live in Winnipeg, Canada, just 7 hours north of Minneapolis.
Her name is Amy, and she is the founder of AHeinz57 Transport and Rescue. Whenever Hull's Haven Border Collie Rescue has needed help with transport or foster in her area, Amy has NEVER said no. She is just the best.
Enter Sam Taylor, Sky Angel extrordinaire....who has helped us on numerous occasions move dogs over to Amy. One particular time I told him "It would be so amazing to meet you and Amy." and this weekend, Sam swooped over to Des Moines, scooped up Amy and two little Border Collie/Doberman rescue pups, and flew them all up here!
The photos will tell you the rest of the tale!

Our first sight of the US rescue crew.

Sam, Amy, Krispy and Mozart (hey I didn't name them!)

Amy and Mozart in our back pen. Some supper and a drink of water were in order.

Krispy has a rest after a long flight.

The "eyes" have it.

Left to right:
Me (Sally), Amy, Sam and Ruth and 11 dogs.

Sam and Freckles schmoozin. "Wave Freckles!"

"Stick em up Freckles!"

Sam kibbutzes with Freckles while Ally looks on and laughs, and Brian cooks up a feast of corn on the cob, bbq ribs and chicken, and baked potatoes.

Sam visits with Riddle, our blind Border Collie.

Amy chats with her son on the phone while the rescue pups check out the yard.

Sam tosses the frisbee for the furkids.

Amy shows Ruth some pictures

The next morning, Riddle shows Amy some lovins. It should be a crime to look that good that early in the morning!

Flare shares some love with Amy too.

Muna checks out the Rescue Plane

Uncle Sam has rescued 32 dogs now. he really has only 20 stickers on the plane, so I messed with the photo and made it right :)

Getting ready to leave. We had hoped for bad weather, so they would have to stay and visit dome more, but no such luck! :)

Sam lookin good in his new "Ruff House" hat!

Muna gives the plane a safety inspection.

Two paws up. Good to go Uncle Sam

Good friends...I wish she lived closer.

Sam checks things out...

Gives us a pose...

Amy checks her passport...

A final wave farewell...

Until we meet again.

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: From Kansas City, to Des Moines, to Canada!

Post by admin » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:56 pm

Absolutely goes straight to the heart of what this program is all about! Outstanding photos and thanks to all for a group effort and the making of new friendships across the boarder!

Debi

LydiaOakes

Post by LydiaOakes » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:42 am

These are fantastic photos and a great story. I happen to know Sam personally and his wife even better. Wanda has been my BFF for many years now. She and I have a love for dogs that is unmatched. I love all dogs but my weakness is with Dachshunds and Great Danes.

This organization is fabulous! I salute all you pilots who are out donating your time, money, patience, and talents to saving dogs. Dogs give us their love, loyalty, and devotion and it's nice to see guys and gals like Sam saving them, one dog at a time. The spouses of the pilots deserve a bit THANK YOU, too, as they are part of this organization even if they don't fly or go with the delivery...they support the pilots in time, energy, emotional support, and money.

I'd also like to point out and thank the rescuers of these wonderful creatures. If it weren't for you, there wouldn't be a PilotsnPaws organization.

I am currently owned by two rescued dogs, a Great Dane named Lily and a Dachshund named DaisyMae. These dogs are incredible and have brought so much love and happiness into my life. I giggle every day at their antics. Max, the third dog (Dachshund) rounds out the pack...and he is the boss of us all.

A huge Great Dane slurp to all of you in this organization. I enjoy reading and seeing the photos of the rescues. Someone needs to write a book and donate the proceeds to the PNP organization! People like me would buy the them!!

Hugs to you all!

jitjat

Post by jitjat » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:57 am

Sam Taylor is my brother-in-law and of course, I've known my little sister all her life. I think she got a great guy when she married Sam. He wasn't so much of an animal person when they married, but she's had a HUGE influence on him since then and he's a 'crazy animal person' just like the rest of us now. I'm so proud that he's giving his time and $$ to help get animals to the place where they need to be so they can be cared for and then adopted. It gives me 'chicken skin' when I look at the photos of all that he's done. He went the 'extra mile' (sorry about the pun) this time in getting Sally & Amy together to meet. I'm just speaking for myself, but I think we're going to keep him. He's a pretty special guy. Way to go Sam!
Janice

hullshaven

Post by hullshaven » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:38 pm

Janice and Lydia-You are truly blessed to have people like Sam and Wanda in your lives :) We felt very blessed just to have Sam and Amy with us one night. (Sam got to snuggle with Mini, our JRT mix with big ears and a bigger attitude) that night. We have asked if him, Wanda and Amy could come up in October for a hog roast we are putting on to thank all of our supporters.
I would love to meet Wanda too :)

jitjat

Post by jitjat » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:33 pm

Sally,
Yes, we are truly blessed to have Wanda & Sam in our lives. It seems that God ordained that Sam & Wanda would meet, fall in love, get married, that Sam would quickly come to love being a doggy daddy, that he would be led to Pilots N Paws and then start flying rescue missions all over. (I loved it that he was former Navy, but really love that he's a pilot with Pilots N Paws!) Wanda and I (and our brothers) truly have the 'bleeding heart gene' which we got from our parents who loved dogs, but weren't quite as 'insane' about them as we are. My 38-year old daughter, Andrea, didn't stand a chance of not inheriting 'the gene' and is as crazy about animals as we are. She is as poor as a church mouse, but has in her home now four 50+ pound rescued dogs, a 25 pound dog, two cats and one outside cat who will soon be living inside and I'd bet money on it. She would (and has) gone without food so that the animals get fed...that says a lot about a person. My husband and I have two rescue kitties and a Shiba Inu/Shepherd mix that we made a 6-hour round trip drive to adopt. (I wish we'd known Sam then and we could have flown...) Our baby 'KC' was 10 pounds when he was seized from his abusive owner, 30 pounds when we adopted him and he's now a happy and healthy 55 pounds. He is the most loving, smart, gentle dog you would ever want to meet. I can't remember what life was like before we got him and don't want to find out.
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for all that you do to facilitate the rescue of all God's creatures that need you so much. You all are very special people too. I think there's a special place in heaven for those who care for God's creatures, don't you?
Thank you! Janice