Shelter to rescue this Sunday

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
jdunham
Zip Code: 78750
Foster?: No
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Shelter to rescue this Sunday

Post by jdunham » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:10 am

Number of animals being transported: 2
Breeds, weight, age: Black & Tan Coonhound, 60 lbs, 5 years old, Treeing Walker Coonhound, 45 lbs, under 1 year old
Health Condition: Believed to be healthy
Heart worm Status: HW negative
Vaccinations: First round for B&T, complete for TWC
Health Certificate: Intrastate, not needed
Spay/Neutered: Not yet known
Special needs: None
Name of Sending Rescue/Parties: Humane Society of Cedar Creek Lake, Tool, TX
Name of Receiving Rescue/Parties: San Antonio SPCA
Contact information (publicly viewable on forum): Jerry Dunham, [email protected], 512-961-8398
Are you a 501c3: Yes
Additional Info/situation:

Gimlet is a middle-aged coonhound in a kill shelter in Tool, TX. She was due to be killed on Wednesday, and San Antonio SPCA decided to take her at the last minute. She now has a ride as far as Austin, TX, this coming Sunday, and needs to get the rest of the way to rescue in San Antonio. She will be arriving in Austin around 15:00 to 16:00 on Sunday.

Sue Ellen is a nearly grown puppy, small for her breed, and very frightened of new people, yet very playful with those she knows. She was brought down from Mount Pleasant back in April and has been fostered in Austin for San Antonio SPCA by an experienced foster mom who has been working through her fear issues. She's not a biter, just frightened of new people, though MUCH better than back in April. It's time for her to move on the the main rescue group in San Antonio so that she can be available for adoption.

Sue Ellen does not have to move this weekend, but if a pilot volunteering to take Gimlet has room it would be a good twofer.

Thank you for all you do for the homeless animals.
--
Jerry Dunham
Coonhound and Foxhound Companions
Tejas Coonhound Rescue
Texas Great Dane Rescue

jdunham

Re: Shelter to rescue this Sunday

Post by jdunham » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:43 am

Weather Underground says 30% chance of rain on Sunday, but clearing late. Does anyone have a more granular view that would make for more accurate planning? Will a flight late Sunday to San Antonio even be possible?

Thanks!
--
Jerry Dunham
Tejas Coonhound Rescue
Texas Great Dane Rescue

shane.torgerson
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: Yes

Post by shane.torgerson » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:28 pm

If all plans fall through or the weather is iffy, I can do it. I have an IFR certified plane and rating so I can go unless there is a line of Thunderstorms.

drdpride
Zip Code: 78130
Airport identifier: KBAZ
Distance willing to fly one way: 100

Post by drdpride » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:10 pm

If things don't work out on Sunday, I could fly between San Marcos and Boerne Stage Monday AM if someone could get the dogs to the airports - Denise Pride
Denise (Pride) and Don Elliott
Cirrus SR20, N318DE
Cirrus SR22T, N718DE
New Braunfels, TX (KBAZ)
[email protected]

jdunham

Post by jdunham » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:23 pm

Wonderful offers from Shane and Denise! Can either of you take both dogs, or should we plan on just the critical one? Shall we see what the Sunday weather looks like tomorrow morning and work from that?

Denise, I'm not sure how I'll get the dogs to San Marcos on a work morning. That's probably going to be very difficult. Sue Ellen is in far north Austin, and her foster mom works, while Gimlet's driver is headed to northwest Austin when she comes in from Dallas. Someone might be able to do it after work on Monday, but I suspect that would get you back to 5C1 quite late.

Shane, which airport would you prefer to use in the Austin area? GTU would make sense, and Gimlet's transport could easily drop her off there as they come down I-35. Since Sue Ellen is in far north Austin, getting her up to GTU wouldn't be difficult.

Thanks to both of you for your offers of help for these two hounds!
--
Jerry Dunham
Tejas Coonhound Rescue
Texas Great Dane Rescue

shane.torgerson

Post by shane.torgerson » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:41 pm

I wont know for sure until Sunday morning but I can give you an update Saturday. I can take both dogs. I am based out of GTU so that would be perfect. If someone else comes along and wants to take this flight, have at it.

jdunham

Post by jdunham » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:20 pm

Shane, with the weather looking as iffy as it is, it's not likely that something else is going to jump on this one. I'm very grateful that you're willing to help. I figure we'll just watch the weather all weekend and hope it makes sense by Sunday evening. I think I have a place to board Gimlet if we have to call it off, and I sure wouldn't ask you to do anything you're not comfortable with.
--
Jerry Dunham
Tejas Coonhound Rescue
Texas Great Dane Rescue

shane.torgerson

Post by shane.torgerson » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:28 pm

Lets plan for Sunday at 3 @ GTU.

jdunham

Post by jdunham » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:32 pm

I spoke with the guy bringing Gimlet down from the Dallas area for us. He's not someone I've dealt with before, and the ground portion of this was arranged by someone at the shelter. He seems like a nice guy, but he doesn't seem inclined toward exact schedules. All he's committed to (and "committed" may be too strong a word) is "between 3 and 4" for his arrival in Austin, which may mean a bit earlier at GTU. In reality, I'd guess he's more likely to be running late than early.

What I told him we'd do is to exchange cell numbers, so that he can call you as he's leaving after picking up the last dog (he's bringing 3, but only one goes to you) so that he can give you an ETA at that time. His name is Jack Mott, and his cell number is 832-439-6367. Please either post yours here so I can pass it along, or call him directly to get linked up. I also have his e-mail address if it's needed.

I will likely be the one bringing Sue Ellen up from Austin to GTU, so please call me when you hear from Jack that he's on his way. My cell is 512-771-5398. I need to go by where Sue Ellen is being fostered to pick her up, but it's not far out of my way. I'm near Lakeline Mall.

Pick up at 5C1 will be Jo Ellen, 210-724-0912. Please call her just before wheels up so that she can be waiting for you.

Keeping fingers and eyes crossed that the weather clears out in time.

Thanks!
--
Jerry Dunham
Tejas Coonhound Rescue
Texas Great Dane Rescue

shane.torgerson

Post by shane.torgerson » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:08 am