Shelter to rescue - Great Dane & coonhound - upcoming week

This forum is for transport requests that were posted on the Ride Board and have been completed. Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked "DONE".

Shelter to rescue - Great Dane & coonhound - upcoming week

Postby jdunham on Mon May 27, 2013 2:16 pm

Number of animals being transported: 2
Breeds, weight, age: Great Dane, 115 lbs, 3 years old; Treeing Walker Coonhound, 50 lbs, 1 year old
Health Condition: Excellent
Heart worm Status: GD - low positive; TWC - negative
Vaccinations: UTD
Health Certificate: Will have
Spay/Neutered: GD - no; TWC - yes
Special needs: None
Name of Sending Rescue/Parties: Sabine Humane Society, Many, LA
Name of Receiving Rescue/Parties: San Antonio SPCA
Contact information (publicly viewable on forum): Jerry Dunham, jdunham@texas.net, 512-961-8398
Are you a 501c3: Yes
Additional Info/situation:

Olive Oyl (Great Dane) just came in to the shelter. Abigail (TWC) has been there a bit longer. Olive Oyl has had adoption interest, but people have wanted her just as a guard dog, living on a chain in the yard. Abigail has had no adoption interest. It's time to get these two to where they can find good homes.

This can be done in one leg, but it would be a long one. More likely, we'll do it like we did the last pull from this shelter: Many to Conroe/Houston, then Conroe/Houston to Boerne, near San Antonio. If you can do either leg, let me know when is best for you and we'll work on filling the other leg.

Yes, this is a large load. J3s need not apply. I can make sure the shelter has the two of them together some to see how they get along, or we can crate the smaller one, Abigail. Both are a bit on the small side for their breeds.

From where I sit (Austin) the weather in Many looks like it will go bad about Thursday and stay that way through the following Monday. Either we move them quickly, or we're likely into next week. If the shelter knows for sure that we have a plan and are waiting on the weather, they'll hold for us. This is a 50% kill shelter, but they try hard to work with rescue.

Thank you for all you do for the animals.
Last edited by jdunham on Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
Jerry Dunham
Coonhound Companions
Tejas Coonhound Rescue
Sunbear Squad
jdunham
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:19 pm
Last Visit: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:49 am

Re: Shelter to rescue - Great Dane & coonhound - upcoming we

Postby CleoBen on Mon May 27, 2013 4:14 pm

Jerry,
If my plane is fixed and the weather cooperates, I can do either half of this trip, preferably with a handoff at Pearland (KLVJ).

CB
My range is about a 250 mile radius around Houston, Texas. Roughly that would include any field within an arc from Houma, LA (KHUM) to Monroe, LA (KMLU) to Paris, TX (KPRX) to Brady, TX (KBBD) to Carrizo Springs, TX (KCZT) to Brownsville, TX (KBRO).
CleoBen
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:39 pm
Location: KLVJ - Pearland, (South Houston) Texas
Last Visit: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:22 pm

Re: Shelter to rescue - Great Dane & coonhound - upcoming we

Postby jdunham on Mon May 27, 2013 11:45 pm

Sorry to be slow to respond. I was off doing a Mastiff ground transport.

I appreciate your offer. Are you weekend only? Last I looked the weather in Many this coming weekend looks pretty miserable. You likely have more accurate information.
--
Jerry Dunham
Coonhound Companions
Tejas Coonhound Rescue
Sunbear Squad
jdunham
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:19 pm
Last Visit: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:49 am

Re: Shelter to rescue - Great Dane & coonhound - upcoming we

Postby jdunham on Wed May 29, 2013 12:12 am

Olive Oyl, the Great Dane, is being spayed on Thursday.
--
Jerry Dunham
Coonhound Companions
Tejas Coonhound Rescue
Sunbear Squad
jdunham
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:19 pm
Last Visit: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:49 am

Re: Shelter to rescue - Great Dane & coonhound - upcoming we

Postby jdunham on Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:30 am

Olive Oyl came through her spay surgery just fine and is ready to go. She and Abigail now have their health certs, so we need to move them before the certs expire.

Now we just need some co-operation from the weatherman.
--
Jerry Dunham
Coonhound Companions
Tejas Coonhound Rescue
Sunbear Squad
jdunham
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:19 pm
Last Visit: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:49 am

Re: Shelter to rescue - Great Dane & coonhound - upcoming we

Postby jdunham on Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:53 am

We have an offer of ground transport for the Houston-to-Boerne leg for next Wednesday. Is anyone available for a midweek flight to get these two from Many, LA, to Houston? At least the weather looks good.

Thanks!
--
Jerry Dunham
Coonhound Companions
Tejas Coonhound Rescue
Sunbear Squad
jdunham
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:19 pm
Last Visit: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:49 am

Re: Shelter to rescue - Great Dane & coonhound - upcoming we

Postby jdunham on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:20 pm

Connecting with the Wednesday ground transport isn't going to work. We still need to put something together to move these two.
--
Jerry Dunham
Coonhound Companions
Tejas Coonhound Rescue
Sunbear Squad
jdunham
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:19 pm
Last Visit: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:49 am

Re: Shelter to rescue - Great Dane & coonhound - upcoming we

Postby jdunham on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:57 pm

We thought we had a transport in place for this coming Monday, one leg from 3R4 to LVJ, then another from LVJ to 5C1. It fell apart when the second leg pilot ran into a mechanical problem that will have him grounded past Monday. We either need a volunteer to cover that second leg on Monday, or we need to start over. Please let us know if you can help this weekend.
--
Jerry Dunham
Coonhound Companions
Tejas Coonhound Rescue
Sunbear Squad
jdunham
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:19 pm
Last Visit: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:49 am

Re: Shelter to rescue - Great Dane & coonhound - upcoming we

Postby drdpride on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:51 pm

I can do the Pearland - Boerne Stage leg on Sunday!
Denise L Pride
(210)445-3485
Boerne Stage (5c1)
San Antonio, Texas
drdpride
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:51 am
Last Visit: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:46 am

Re: Shelter to rescue - Great Dane & coonhound - upcoming we

Postby jdunham on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:55 pm

This has been the most snake-bit transport I've been involved with. We were scheduled for last week (½ ground), but our driver ended up in surgery. We were scheduled for flights this past Monday, but one pilot's airplane suffered a mechanical failure. We moved back to Sunday with a different pilot, and the weather in Houston got us. Weather problems have since cause cancellations for today and tomorrow.

Fortunately, the shelter has been patient with us, and the dogs aren't in danger. We just need to keep trying until we can get them moved.

I'm now targeting the weekend. Since Many, LA, to Boerne, TX is really too long to ask anyone to do as one leg, we're probably looking at a handoff in the Houston area. If you can help Saturday or Sunday, please contact me.

Thanks!
--
Jerry Dunham
Coonhound Companions
Tejas Coonhound Rescue
Sunbear Squad
jdunham
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:19 pm
Last Visit: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:49 am

Next

Return to "DONE" Transports Complete

Who is online

Registered users: CarrieBowman, Yahoo [Bot]