Need to get a dog from CA to NY

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
DKraan

Need to get a dog from CA to NY

Post by DKraan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:49 pm

Number of animals being transported: 1
Breeds, weight, age: Schnauzer mix, 15-17 lbs
Health Condition: good
Heart worm Status: neg
Health Certificate: y
Spay/Neutered: unknown
Special needs:none
Name of Sending Rescue/Parties Bridges to Safety
Name of Receiving Rescue/Parties:
Contact information (publicly viewable on forum): Donna Kraan ([email protected]
Are you a 501c3: y
Additional Info/situation: Floyd Lampart is riding his bicycle 12,000 miles around the perimeter of the United States, to raise funds for Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab, Utah and this is a friend of a good friend of mine. My friend has asked to see if I could help out with something. Apparently while on this tour around the US, Floyd came across a small stray schnauzer mix along one of the highways in CA. He fell in love with this little guy but had no way to bring him along with him so had to take him to a no kill pound. He hasn't stopped talking about this pup to his wife, so, his wife would really love to surprise Floyd when he finally makes it home on labour day weekend, by adopting this pup and having him waiting for him at the "finish line" with her! The problem is, getting him from CA to NY! This is where I am praying that someone can help us? I can get this pup to wherever you need me to get him to in CA in order for you to fly him home to NY! They live near Lake Placid, NY but I can arrange to have the dog picked up where ever it is convenient for you to land him! Can anyone help with this?
Last edited by DKraan on Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DougWeir
Zip Code: 10024
Foster?: No
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KCDW
Distance willing to fly one way: 200

Re: Need to get a dog from CA to NY

Post by DougWeir » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:11 pm

Great story and hits close to home for me - I love to bike and have a schnauzer too (today is his birthday)!

I would love to help and can offer to do the last leg - from the NYC area to Lake Placid.

I actually think the best solution would be if he could fly commercially - small enough to fly under a seat - to the New York area, and then I could get him up to Lake Placid no problem. Might also be able to help with interim boarding if that is an issue.
Doug Weir, CFI, ATP
Saratoga Springs, NY (5B2)
Grumman Tiger - N414DJ
Cell: 917-208-1172

DKraan

Post by DKraan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:01 pm

Doug, thank you SOOO much!!! But it's looking like we have a pilot that will be able to do the entire flight this Saturday, crossing all paws!!! I'll keep you posted though

DougWeir
Zip Code: 10024
Foster?: No
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KCDW
Distance willing to fly one way: 200

Post by DougWeir » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:41 pm

That's awesome - let us know how it goes - lucky dog!
Doug Weir, CFI, ATP
Saratoga Springs, NY (5B2)
Grumman Tiger - N414DJ
Cell: 917-208-1172

DKraan

Post by DKraan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:51 pm

Mission Accomplished! WOOOO HOOOO!! Thank you Margo Walker! :D

And thank you Doug Weir for offering your assistance! It is much appreciated! :D