DONE!! Paralyzed Lab needs ride Park City,UT-Cary,NC Leg 1

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor
Zip Code: 46254
Foster?: No
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

DONE!! Paralyzed Lab needs ride Park City,UT-Cary,NC Leg 1

Post by deeogee1 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:26 pm

Leg 1--Park City,UT to Broomfield,CO

A friend in NC wrote this about a dog she is adopting:
Carl is a 2 year old lab who had surgery for a spinal tumor. The tumor was found to be benign, but the surgery has left Carl paralyzed. I really want to have Carl see a neurologist and then get him rehabilitation.
He has had some rehab & was making progress, but is no longer going while in UT.
Two year old Labrador who developed ataxia a year ago. With an MRI, a spinal tumor was discovered which was surgically biopsied in February 2009 and found to be benign. After surgery, Carl was paralyzed and unable to control his bowels or bladder. By a couple of weeks post surgery Carl was able to control his bladder and bowels and able to feel his toes and wag his tail. Carl has been to rehabilitation and is now able to stand with assistance, but unable to walk without a wheelchair.
We are looking into the possibility of flying him on PetAirways--but he would still need to get to Denver to depart and then get to NC from Washington, DC.
I'm a bit scared to put a special needs dog of this size on a regular commercial airline trip in cargo.
Last edited by deeogee1 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor

Re: Paralyzed Lab needs ride to new home Park City,UT-Cary,NC

Post by deeogee1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:35 pm

Can any pilots help transport from Park City,UT to Denver or Broomfield,CO and from Baltimore,MD to Cary,NC?

Debi is helping us check with PetAirways and I may have people willing to pick up & foster Carl in Broomfield and Baltimore.

PurpleBike

Re: Paralyzed Lab needs ride Park City,UT-Cary,NC Leg 1

Post by PurpleBike » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:22 pm

I could provide the transportation from Utah to Denver but I have a very small airplane. It is a two place with a small area behind the pilot and passenger seats. I do not have room for a crate large enough for a Lab. If Carl is calm enough he could lay/sit in the passengers seat. I don't know what kind of restraints could be used if any.

I found out about Pilots N Paws by reading a story about a good size boxer being transported in an RV6 or 7 that is about the same interior size as my Glasair.

I will only fly VFR so we would have to pick a good weather day.

Let me know what you think.

Denny Benson
[email protected]

deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor

Post by deeogee1 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:39 am

Thank you, Denny. I think Carl will be traveling with a crate (even if he isn't in it with PNP) because he has to have one for PetAirways. I will check to see where the crate is coming from and let you know if it's just the dog going to Denver or not.

Again-thank you for the offer.

Joanne

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes

Post by admin » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:36 pm

deeogee1 wrote:Thank you, Denny. I think Carl will be traveling with a crate (even if he isn't in it with PNP) because he has to have one for PetAirways. I will check to see where the crate is coming from and let you know if it's just the dog going to Denver or not.
Again-thank you for the offer.
Joanne
Joanne, Pet Airways has crates that are permanently mounted in their planes so no need for Carl to have one for them. Just FYI......

Debi

deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor

Post by deeogee1 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:38 am

Thanks for the info Debi. :D

So Denny--it looks like maybe you could fly Carl--if you think his wheels would fit behind the seats? We are waiting on word back from the owners to see how he does in a crate. That will give us a little incite into how calm he'd be sitting next to you. I'll try to get L & W of his wheels too.

PurpleBike

Post by PurpleBike » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:43 am

Sounds good. Let me know. I am assuming that the closes airport to Park City is Heber City Airport and Rocky Mountain Metro to Broomfield.

Let me know.

Denny

deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor

Post by deeogee1 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:11 pm

Denny-
Yes--they look to be the closest airports, and Rocky Mtn is actually the airport PetAirways uses. We are looking at Thurs Jan 21 and if you wanted to transfer him right to PetAirways he would need to be there between 12:30PM & 3:30PM. Or if you'd rather not, I can have someone meet you at the airport earlier in the week or that day. (I don't know what days you would be available & of course we don't know which days will work weather-wise at this point.
What do you think?

deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor

Post by deeogee1 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:13 pm

Denny--
After hearing from several pilots (one of whom is a DVM) the consensus was that the passenger seat might be too small for him to stay comfortably and there was concern he might wiggle around and wind up on the floor too close to the pedals.
And given weather conditions in CO (my last transport from MO to CA was delayed in Denver for a week due to weather & then schedules), I think we will let the owners drive Carl to the airport. They are willing to do this and can also answer any last minute questions that might come up by PetsAirways people.

I very much appreciate your willingness to help and I'm sure it won't be long before a "less challenging" or smaller dog needs your help.
Thanks again!

Joanne