Senior Greyhound in Shelter in Petersburg, VA

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
greyhoundcouch

Senior Greyhound in Shelter in Petersburg, VA

Post by greyhoundcouch » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:26 pm

Gambler, an 8 year-old greyhound somehow ended up in a shelter in Petersburg, VA. He was adopted thru our group. Owner moved away from FL and then divorced and fell on hard times. Animal control picked up this boy on Monday. We are hoping to find a pilot in the area to fly south and meet up with another pilot who have already said they could help. They are available this Friday, Saturday or Sunday. The greyhound needs to be moved very soon. His final destination is southern Florida. Thanks!
Suzanne
Joey's Greyhound Friends
(513) 478-1870

jsheehan
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: Yes
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: Senior Greyhound in Shelter in Petersburg, VA

Post by jsheehan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:41 am

I am in Newport News, VA and I can do a trip on Saturday. Is this request still valid? Is this in support of a rescue 501c3? Is the dog in a crate or do I need to supply a crate for transport? I have an inquiry in for another trip on Saturday 8/14 from Elizabethtown,NC (KEYF) to Linden,NJ. Could bring the greyhound to Myrtle Beach (KCRE) or arrange to meet at KEYF. I don't know about the NJ trip yet so the times are unknown but probably in the AM.
I would be willing to take the grayhound on Friday if we could make arrangement.
Jack Sheehan

greyhoundcouch

Post by greyhoundcouch » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:25 pm

Hi Jack, I sent a PM to you earlier. A home has been found for Gambler in MI. The lady adopting him has other senior greys. Gambler is a very terrified boy and may need special care so we decided that the MI home was best. We are now trying to get him from VA to MI and need transport from Va to PA. We have ground transport from PA to MI I believe. Yes we are a non-profit 501 group.
Suzanne
Joey's Greyhound Friends of OH
www.greyhoundfriendsohio.org

jsheehan

Post by jsheehan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:07 pm

Suzane,
I am waiting on a reply for the trip to New Jersey It may be possible to take both dogs. Where in PA does Gambler need to go. Is the second leg confirmed? Does he have a crate?
Jack Sheehan

greyhoundcouch

Post by greyhoundcouch » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:49 pm

Gambler needs to get to Pittsburgh from Petersburgh on Saturday. Ground transport can be arranged to Winchester, VA too, but you are east of Petersburg. We could get him a crate, but not sure how much room you have. Most of the greys that we fly wear harnesses and the pilots have not had any problems. This boy is rather shy and scared and a crate would be better. Gambler has had a rough time of it.

Suzanne

jsheehan

Post by jsheehan » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:42 pm

Suzanne,
I agree he probably needs to be in a crate if he is scared. I can fit a crate that is about a 30-36 inches on all sides in the back of the plane. i can pick him up in Petersburg Saturday morning and be in Pitttsburg about noon. It is about a 1:45 hour flight. Will he be ok for that long? How do we arrange a crate? How large is a typical greyhound crate?
I have not heard about the other dog from NC so I guess they have other arrangements.
Pick-up at Petersburg airport KPTB it is small only one FBO terminal
There are 5 airports around Pittsburg which would be better than using the large Pittsburg Airport if they would work
KAGC - Allegheny County Airport (16 nm SE)
KBVI - Beaver County Airport (18 nm NW)
KPJC - Zelienople Municipal Airport (19 nm N)
KBTP - Butler County Airport/K W Scholter Field (21 nm NE)
KAFJ - Washington County Airport (21 nm S

Please give me a call in the morning 757-508-5511(Cell)
Jack

greyhoundcouch

Post by greyhoundcouch » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:49 am

Ground Transport has been arranged for Gambler from VA to MI. Due to his emotional state, it is probably best for him to go by car. He would have required a large crate - 42 inch long. He is probably 78 pounds . He will be on his way Saturday to his new home. Thanks to you Jack for offering to fly him. If he hadn't been so spooky, it would have worked. Hope you can fly the other pups in need for transport! Thank you!
Suzanne
Joey's Greyhound Friends of OH