Official FAA Callsign

A place for pilots to chat and exchange information about their planes, flying, transports, etc....

Re: Official FAA Callsign

Postby scottg4593 on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:01 pm

I've been using "ARF" for a handful of flights now. Its a given that you will get asked by the controller "who are you guys....what are you doing...ect...." (Not in a suspicious manner, just curiosity).

I'm N4593D or N112SF and use ARF93 or ARF12
scottg4593

Postby TravisSullins on Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:12 pm

Just to be clear on this, I read the article on ARF and it said include ARF and the last digits of tail number. My tail is 1576C. Would I be ARF 76 or ARF 576. Just want to make sure I am clear on this.
Travis Sullins
AtlantaRescueFlights@me.com
N32115
TravisSullins

Postby RickG on Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:56 pm

TravisSullins wrote:I read the article on ARF and it said include ARF and the last digits of tail number. My tail is 1576C. Would I be ARF 76 or ARF 576.

Travis - instructions state to use the last 3 digits of your registration number, so it would be ARF76C.

That said ... I posted the reference back to Animal Rescue Flights and in retrospect have to agree with Jeff's take on the article: The ARF call sign is specific to the Animal Rescue Flight organization, and (personally) do not think its appropriate for flights requested through PNP. We have to keep in mind ARF operates on a very different model; flights through ARF are in fact arranged, coordinated and managed by their group, and as pilots you are making flights for the ARF organization. This is not the case for PNP. As stated throughout the site and in their disclaimer on every page, PNP is simply an "electronic meeting place for those seeking to make arrangements for rescue flights. Pilots N Paws does not arrange for rescue flights, coordinate transports and/or rescue animals. Pilots volunteer their time and aircraft to the sending and receiving parties, not to Pilots N Paws." Not a bad thing ... but it is important to keep this in mind as you volunteer for flights.
Durham NC (8NC8)
C172E, VFR Only
In The News: Flying To A New Life (September 2012)
RickG

Postby Susan Delgado on Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:13 am

I usually just put Pilots N Paws in the comment box in my flight plan. I had a controller ask me this weekend what type of animal I was transporting....and I told her I had 5 aboard. She was surprised. Sometimes it helps when I have two flight plans back to back because I'm doing a quick pick up....then they usually can guess why and they anticipate my takeoff (when leaving from uncontrolled fields).
Susan
Susan Delgado
Bonanza-Based RYY
N1561G
Susan Delgado

Postby Zhumphrey on Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:46 am

Did anything ever come of this? If so, what, if not, what is everyone using if different than normal n-number.

Thanks,

Zack
Zack Humphrey
Comm, Multi, Inst, CFI
Zhumphrey

Previous

Return to "Pilot Talk"