Terminally ill retired Military Working Dog TX to PA-FILLED

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
choppercop

Terminally ill retired Military Working Dog TX to PA-FILLED

Post by choppercop » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:29 pm

I am able pick up and transport a retired MWD from Lackland AFB here in San Antonio and transport to the Dallas area but I need help getting him the rest of the way to Lewisberry, PA or near that area. Derrick is a 10 year old German Shepherd Dog who has been retired because he has terminal cancer and is only expected to live for 6-8 months according to the military vets. He has a woman in PA who is willing to give him a comfortable life with lots of love for his last few months after serving his country for most of his life. If you can help me transport please contact me at [email protected]
Last edited by choppercop on Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MuttsMom

Re: Terminally ill retired Military Working Dog TX to PA

Post by MuttsMom » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:44 pm

I'm sure there are good and bad vets in the civilian world, but most of the military vets I've been around, don't see a lot with the exception of giving annual shots and maybe spay/neutering. I'd get a 2nd opinion. Depending on what kind of cancer, there may be something they can do. JMO.

choppercop

Post by choppercop » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:44 am

You may be right and Nedra will give this dog all the veterinary care he needs but whether or not the military vets are correct, Derrick needs help being transported. He has been retired and unless he can get a new home he will be euthanized.

MuttsMom

Post by MuttsMom » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:27 am

Have you checked into flying him on a commercial flight? Now that the temps are cooling down, there's a good chance you can get him to PA that way. I'm afraid TX-PA even though possible, will be a tough one. You'll need a foster home at every drop-off/pick-up location in case weather or other issues delay the next pilot from taking off as scheduled and TX to PA would take a lot of pilots.

choppercop

Post by choppercop » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:28 pm

I called Southwest Airlines and they only do small dogs in the cabin and not in cargo. Do you know about any of the other airlines or maybe UPS. I realize it's a long transfer but I thought I'd give it a try in case somone could help. Derrick was diagnosed with splenic
hemagiosarcoma.

Thanks, Todd

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by admin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:14 pm

Tod,

Thank you for helping this very giving military dog who has likely served us all well. Continental has a good program for shipping pets and both Delta and Northwest have pet transport as well. On our home page, www.pilotsnpaws.org, one of our commercial pilots, Sarah Murphy Case has written a very informative article and guidelines about how to use commercial transport. I would suggest reading that and seeing if you can find a direct flight for this pup. Even if volunteers have to drive a ways on either end I would definitely look for a direct flight. It is also possible to fly with him and check him as part of your baggage. There is a fee, of course, but this way someone would be on board to monitor his status along the way.

These longer distances are difficult but not impossible for volunteer PNP pilots. You may be able to find volunteer pilots by breaking the route into 300 mile legs with a temp foster set up at each destination point. I hope this all works out for what I am sure is a wonderful dog.

Debi

margo walker
Zip Code: 11735
Foster?: No
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KFRG
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by margo walker » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:20 pm

This is a dog who needs the best care we can give him for having served our country. Thank you for helping him this far.

We could pick him up on October 24 in Dallas. He will be delivered to the nearest airport of his destination, if you would tell me where that would be.

Please give me his approximate weight. and whether he would be well enough to travel in a kennel should this be required.

There is, I am sure you know, excellent care at the University of PA veterinary school.

Margo Walker

GetMeTherePlease

Post by GetMeTherePlease » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:25 pm

Todd
I sent you an email Email me offlist I think I can help

Cheryl
Founder Roads of Hope
Animal Rescue Transport
National Transport Coordinator
[email protected] (gmail.com)
Austin, TX
512-803-2069
http://www.roadsofhope.org

Join our Yahoogroup at the following link
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Roads_of_Hope

GetMeTherePlease

Post by GetMeTherePlease » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:29 pm

margo walker wrote:This is a dog who needs the best care we can give him for having served our country. Thank you for helping him this far.

We could pick him up on October 24 in Dallas. He will be delivered to the nearest airport of his destination, if you would tell me where that would be.

Please give me his approximate weight. and whether he would be well enough to travel in a kennel should this be required.

There is, I am sure you know, excellent care at the University of PA veterinary school.

Margo Walker
Margo

This is great Please do let me know if your working on this than with Todd ;0) If so I'll step back

Todd
Good luck with this boy

Cheryl
Founder Roads of Hope
Animal Rescue Transport
National Transport Coordinator
[email protected] (gmail.com)
Austin, TX
512-803-2069
http://www.roadsofhope.org

Join our Yahoogroup at the following link
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Roads_of_Hope

Fernanda&Lola

Post by Fernanda&Lola » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:43 pm

Has a flight or ground transport being schedule for 10/24?
what is the route?
I can help you email pilots!!
Fernanda