Dana, the Great Dane

Heartwarming photos and videos of our rescued friends.
Steve Foley
Webmaster
Foster?: No
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Dana, the Great Dane

Post by Steve Foley » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:06 pm

Sunday, I flew my first rescue.

Dana was being brought from Alabama to Massachusetts on a two day transport. I volunteered to do three legs in my plane, from Bridgeport, CT to Gardner, MA.

Michele McGuire stepped up to fly Dana from Maryland to NJ. We both adjusted our flight plans so we could exchange Dana in Greenwood Lake, NJ.

Sunday was forecast to be clear skies. As usual, the weatherguys lied. I woke up to a recording of "VFR not recommended". I got the call from Michele that she already had Dana and was waiting for her clearance.

My 15 year old son (Cliff) and I took off into 1300 foot ceilings, and flew through familiar territory, diverted a little to the north to get around some showers, and eventually climbed up to 2000 feet. The weather was much clearer to the north, so I knew a quick right turn would get me into better conditions.

I crossed the Hudson River, and found my way to Greenwood Lake. I heard Michele call the GPS approach on unicom, so I figured I'd let her know I was close. I was still about 15 miles out, so I announced my intentions.

We met Michele and Cheri at the airport, and took custody of Dana. It was easy to spot their plane. It was the one with the giant dog next to it.

We got out of the plane, and met everyone. I needed to go find some water to swallow more Motrin. I had thrown my back out several days before, and was in severe pain, but only when walking upright. I was fine sitting down, so Cliff got the chore of loading Dana into the back of the Cherokee.

It was actually pretty funny watching Dana jump up on the wing and head for the treat in Cliff's hand. My fears of how to overpower a large dog were never realized. I don't know if I ever met a gentler dog.

I would have liked to chat a little, but my back said it was time to sit back down.

Dana curled up in the back of the plane. I had removed the seats, so she had a good sized platform to lie on. I had her harness fastened to a seat belt, but she did manage to stand up and turn around once.

As I flew the downwind leg at Gardner, I saw a couple all alone at the airport. When I realized they were photographing the landing, I had a really good guess who it was.

We dropped Dana off with her new family, and took a quick trip home.

I understand Dana got sick that night, but is now doing better.

What a great excuse to go flying!!!

Michele
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KDMW

Re: Dana, the Great Dane

Post by Michele » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:02 pm

Dana was a sweetie. I had trepidations about hefting a 110 pound dog into my plane, but she was so starved, she would have jumped over the moon for a morsel. So many people helped with this transport, and I know she touched everyone's heart the way she did mine. Steve you're a trooper... bad back, bad weather, and you still came through. I know Dana thanks you.

Steve Foley
Webmaster
Pilot?: No

Re: Dana, the Great Dane

Post by Steve Foley » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:02 am

Dana has a new home, my back is much better, and my wife's surgery went great.

Life is good.

The weather was certainly outside my comfort zone, but was at no time unsafe. It was clear to the north, so I simply flew around the worst of it. Too bad I didn't have the track turned on in the GPS. It would have been interesting to look at.

Next time we meet, I promise to be more sociable.