Size limitations?

Just ask! Volunteer mentors are here to share their knowledge and experience.
bh241

Size limitations?

Post by bh241 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:04 am

Hi folks, first let me say a big thank you to all for helping get these animals out of a shelter environment. :D

Now my question. I work with several rescues but mainly with large breed dogs - Saint Bernards typically. I was wondering if there is a size limit on the dogs you guys can help with. We occasionally have the need to move one from the South to the New England area we have typically relied on volunteers to construct a transport relay for these guys, but often that is so fragile and falls apart leaving the dog(s) in limbo.

Is Pilots N Paws even a possibility for dogs from 100 to 200 pounds in weight (not counting drool) ?

Steve Foley
Webmaster
Foster?: No
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: Size limitations?

Post by Steve Foley » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:33 am

It really depends on the plane. The plane I used to fly had removable rear seats, so the back was a nice, flat platform. I used a harness to secure the dogs and didn't have any problems.

I suppose it could be a problem if the dog doesn't want to get into the plane. One day I flew a great dane and my back was acting up. I brought my son to help get her in the plane. She scrambled onto the wing and into the plane with no coaxing at all.

My advice is to go ahead and post the request. One thing to keep in mind is that, like ground transports with cars, the planes can't do really long distances. They only fly around 100mph, although in a straight line. Since each plane needs to go back to where it came from, a 1000 mile transport will take roughly 20 hours of flight time.

bh241

Post by bh241 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:39 am

Thanks Steve,

OK, that makes sense. I do have one young saint that might be needing a ride in the coming days / weeks, I'll get all the information together and see if you guys can help - maybe between the 'ground and air' transport relay this would work. ;)

deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor
Zip Code: 46254
Foster?: No

Post by deeogee1 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:22 pm

bh241 wrote:Thanks Steve,

OK, that makes sense. I do have one young saint that might be needing a ride in the coming days / weeks, I'll get all the information together and see if you guys can help - maybe between the 'ground and air' transport relay this would work. ;)
In case you need to use paid transport some time, I can refer you to a good one who goes up the east coast & is reasonable.

robertam
PNP Transport Advisor
Zip Code: 40502
Foster?: Yes

Post by robertam » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:53 pm

Hi! I am Roberta. One of the advisors for the rescues/rescuers/shelters. I sent a Saint Bernard on a PilotsNPaws transport from Lexington, KY to MN last summer. I suggest that when you post your request under "Animals Needing Transport," that in the body of your request you include the dog's weight. Also if you go to the "map this request"--it is written in red--link that will appear after your posted request has been accepted, you can contact pilots individually via e-mail[look to the left, scroll down and you will see the plane shaped icons--designating pilots-click on each one to open the info box, then click on link to info fro the pilot, scroll down and click on "e-mail"]. In the e-mails you send to the individual pilots requesting transport assistance be sure to mention the dog's weight. I always mention the weight of the animal or animals whenever I post under "Animals Needing Transport" because the pilots need that information so I provide it in the initial posting.

Roberta
Roberta Harding
PNP Transport Advisor
Kentucky Animal Relief Fund, Inc.
Lexington, KY
e-mail: [email protected]
cell: 859-338-3470