Please provide airport identifiers or names

Guidelines and tips from Pilots N Paws members to help with rescue transports.
N2522F

Please provide airport identifiers or names

Post by N2522F » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:57 pm

Rescuers:

It helps us pilots out a lot if you can provide us with the pick-up and destinations airports using the three letter identifier or at least the airport name. If you just give us a small town name (like Roxboro, NC) we have to search the maps for the nearest airport.

This is a good web site to help you find airports: http://www.airnav.com

Thanks.

- Mike Young
N2522F

Eric27
Foster?: No
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: Please provide airport identifiers or names

Post by Eric27 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:30 am

I read this post often and I like to comment on some of this information. I like the idea of giving us pilots the name of the closest airport with the three letter identifier. This is good for us to locate the general area where you are looking for us to pick up or drop off the transport. A little more information can be helpful. We look at a lot of what you might think are little things like, runway condition, services at the airport. On my last transport I picked the closest airport to the receiving party, it was closer to her than the place she had picked which was a helipad at a hospital, she didn’t even know it existed. When I landed I knew why. It was a little whole in the wall runway that they called an airport with no services. Lucky for me I had plenty of fuel to get out and stop at another airport. Shame on me for not looking at it better in my guide. My point is the closest airport may not be usable by the pilot. You may need to drive to another airport to find better services.