Custom maps [Split from LINK TO FIND PILOTS!...]

Need tech support using the forum? Check for answers here or post a question.
jegsmithDRC

Custom maps [Split from LINK TO FIND PILOTS!...]

Post by jegsmithDRC » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:52 pm

HI Steve, Can you tell me what 3rd party application you used to created this list on google maps..We could really use this technology for our rescue volunteers!

Thanks,

Jeannine Smith
Doodle Rescue Collective, Inc
[email protected]

Steve Foley
Webmaster
Foster?: No
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: LINK TO FIND PILOTS! Just put in City, State, Zip!!

Post by Steve Foley » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:18 pm

jegsmithDRC wrote:HI Steve, Can you tell me what 3rd party application you used to created this list on google maps..We could really use this technology for our rescue volunteers!
It's not a 3rd party application. It's custom code that I wrote. It's written in PHP and accesses a MYSQL database. If you your volunteers are listed in a MYSQL database and you've got a PHP developer , I'm sure he or she could get it working with your website.

jegsmithDRC

Post by jegsmithDRC » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:22 pm

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly Steve! I'm a web developer but not the best! Any chance you would be willing to share some code? :)

Steve Foley
Webmaster

Post by Steve Foley » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:24 pm

jegsmithDRC wrote:Thanks for getting back to me so quickly Steve! I'm a web developer but not the best! Any chance you would be willing to share some code? :)
Coming soon to an inbox near you!!!!

jegsmithDRC

Post by jegsmithDRC » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:36 pm

Can't wait! Thank you so much!!

Paula @ NGPR

Post by Paula @ NGPR » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:17 am

Hi - I have just succesfully used PNP for the transport of an elderly pyr, this is truly a wonderful program that you have. I am hoping that someone can tell me about the mapping program that you have, it would be an invaluable tool for me to use as a rescue (ground) transport coordinator. I spend quite a bit of time combing through all of my volunteer lists to find the people along my routes to send requests out to, this would cut that time down to nothing and allow me to work on more transports!
Thank you so much!
Paula August
Transport Coordinator
National Great Pyrenees Rescue

Steve Foley
Webmaster

Post by Steve Foley » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:15 pm

The first maps I set up for Pilots N Paws used the 'My Maps' feature of google maps. If you go to maps.google.com, one link is 'My Maps', which will bring up instructions for creating your own map. As users were signing up on the website, I would create a push pin for them on the map. This quickly got out of hand, as users were signing up faster than I could post them on a map.

In your case, where you are maintaining the lists by yourself, the google my maps feature would probably work.

The real attraction of the Pilots N Paws maps is that they are self-maintaining. When someone signs up, they enter their zip code or airport ID. When the maps get drawn, google pulls the information for the pushpins from the user accounts on the forum. If you don't have users signing up on your website, it would be helpful to use the PNP maps.

If you do have a website where users sign up, let me know, and I'll explain how I integrated the maps.