DONE!Henderson KY-Chicago area THURSDAY URGENT

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
hullshaven

DONE!Henderson KY-Chicago area THURSDAY URGENT

Post by hullshaven » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:31 pm

I have an adult Border Collie female and a 10 week old BC pup I need to move on Thursday.
They will both need a ride from Henderson KY to Chicago, where they will be hitching a ride on another transport to Minneapolis. From MPLS, they will be going to Winnipeg Canada.
Any help would be SO appreciated!
-Sal

hullshaven

Re: Henderson KY-Chicago area THURSDAY URGENT

Post by hullshaven » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:11 am

We are going to have to cancel. There has been no offer of help.

Jon

Post by Jon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:46 am

Hullshaven,

I am sorry you had to cancel. Please don't think pilots are apathetic. Quite the contrary. I have several suggestions that may help in the future.

Try not to specify a single day as required for the transport. Pilots have varying degrees of tolerance for flying in weather and a look at the weather map may indicate weather as a factor preventing pilots from volunteering. Give them flexibility on the day.

A weekday is also difficult. Most pilots work (to support their flying habit) and a mid week transport oftentimes is not possible.

Lastly, you can be proactive. Draw a line along the route and then go the pilot's map on the home page of this web site to find pilots anywhere along or close to the route. Contact them directly with your request. It is hard for a pilot to say no.

hullshaven

Post by hullshaven » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:10 am

Hi Jon.
I know the pilots are not apathetic my friend, in fact, I believe YOU saved one for me. His name is Suka, the Border Collie from West Virginia.
My problem is that this came up very quickly, and I only had the one day to move them, to meet another transport. I also attempted ground transport, and it didn't fly either. Weekdays are tough.
I cannot find the pilot map, and the one I have been given a link to gives me an error :(
Any ideas Jon?
Thanks so much!
Sal

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by admin » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:40 pm

hullshaven wrote:I cannot find the pilot map, and the one I have been given a link to gives me an error :(Sal
Sal, the pilot map now seems to be working on the homepage. http://www.pilotsnpaws.org Occassionally, I have to refresh my broswer after heading to the site for the maps to load, not always but sometimes. I just checked and everything appears to be loading fine right now.

When you see the pinpoints come up on the map, scroll down to the bottom and click on "View Larger" This will bring all the pilots and contact information up on the left hand side of the page. You should be able to scroll through those and find pilots along the route you need.

Debi

hullshaven

Post by hullshaven » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:47 pm

Well all, I have GREAT NEWS! We have a wonderful driver who couldn't stand to see the dogs miss a trip, and she is driving the WHOLE way from Chicagoland to KY!!!
Thanks for your help. I will check that map out.

Jon

Post by Jon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:53 pm

Sal,

We have had discussions both on the forum, amongst board members and individually with rescues about the need to develop a network of rescues and fosters to assist in emergencies.

Our discussions were prompted by the number of multi-leg rescues and how a pilot needs the comfort of knowing if he cannot do a leg or has to prematurely stop the flight he or she will be able to find a nearby rescue or foster to shelter the animals until the transport can resume. You have pointed out another need, and that is an emergency rescue. There are times when rescues will pull an animal, have no place to shelter it, but have a foster or permanent home waiting if transport can be arranged.

Obviously a discussion now will not help your circumstance, but if rescues and fosters can create a network similar to the one being developed by pilots I think pilots and rescues will be in a better position to save more animals. It would be nice if we had all this worked out, but aviation transports on the scale we are hoping for reveals needs not previously anticipated.