Canada?

Guidelines and tips from Pilots N Paws members to help with rescue transports.
chaero
Foster?: No
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: CAH3
Distance willing to fly one way: 180

Re: Canada?

Post by chaero » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:15 am

Debi,

Thanks for your comments re. chapter rationale. The only transport requests I had seen that went north of the border, originated in the US, therefore total integration seemed to me the way to go. As you point out though, a separate Canadian entity or chapter may indeed encourage more participation from both rescues and pilots.

Don't know the legal issues with respect to tax deductions but I am aware of a few local pet and wildlife rescues that are registered as charitable organizations and can therefore issue tax receipts for donations. One here (wildlife rescue) in particular uses the services of a volunteer helicopter pilot, and I know that he gets receipts and legally claims deductions for certain expenses related to the flights he performs. How it could work with US-originated flights that terminate in Canada with a receiver not able to issue tax receipts, I don't know....perhaps if the flight was carried out under the auspices of a PnP chapter managed by a rescue group with the charitable status, the tax authorities might accept it.

I hope one of the more active rescue groups in this country will take you up on your offer and see what can be done, for they no doubt have large active networks going already with other transport modes. Like many other pilots, I want to stay on the flying end, have no computer skills whatsoever and frankly have little desire to learn any.

You and the other principals have done a fantastic job in bringing PnP to where it is today in a very short time, and can be immensely proud of your efforts!

Chris
Chris Hansen
:plane: Sidewinder C-GCSW
CAH3 Courtenay, BC
Mobile 250.702.7403

Lyndi

Post by Lyndi » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:55 am

Re charitable status, yes some rescues operate as charities in Canada and can issue in-kind receipts. Don't know if they would apply for USA tax returns. I will research and respond.

A few of us in Ontario have been able to sponsor, foster, find homes for southern dogs because it is so much less expensive than local adoptions and we can help more dogs that way as non-wealthy individuals. The voucher system I see in SC, NC and such may exist in other states but I've signed on to network for shelters down there so am not familiar.

I am so impressed with Pilots N Paws and will review messages on flying to Canada, research airports and talk to pilots in the regions with which I've become familiar.

To cross into Canada, the animal needs to have a rabies shot certification for sure. I don't think there is any other requirement. Our experience so far is that if we declare the dog a rescue, not a purchased animal, then no duty applies, Cdn Border Services seem happy about a dog finding a home, actually.

Will continue research and hope to get more flights to Canada!

skywaggin

Post by skywaggin » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:09 pm

I know this is an older post but I just wanted to chime in and say that we have flown into Canada with our own 3 dogs and have had no troubles at all however the planning and filing of the eAPIS, getting your decal etc is a little more intesive and time consuming then your domestic flight planning. Another thing to note is that if you are renting an airplane, you may want to get a letter from the owner stating that they have given you permission for fly the airplane across the border. We were flying a club plane and did this.

Requirements for transporting animals is going to be different depending on the type of animal so be sure to check that out as I know there are quaratine requirements for some (like birds).

We checked into the requirements for transporting an animal such as a dog across the border and the main requirement for dogs over the age of 8 months was that they had a valid rabies vaccination as the US is not recognized by Canada as a Rabies -free country. If they are under the age of 8 months they have different requirements if they are not travelling with their respective owner. Here is some great info on trasporting dogs into Canada:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/ani ... nine.shtml
I was concerned when we first flew the dogs in our own plane because I have relatives who frequently fly to and from the US from Canada on commercial airlines with their dogs. Commercial airlines have way more health certification requirements regardless of the dogs age when transporting them period, be it domestic or international. Thus it may be easier for GA pilots to do the transporting!

Also, be aware that certain provinces and municipalities have breed bans, specifically bans against pitbulls. The Province of Ontario has a pitbull ban.

For us, customs was a breeze both coming into Canada and Coming back into the US, however this can vary so be prepared to answer questions, fill out forms and sometimes have the airplane searched. You are also required to stay in the airpane until a customs official comes to the airplane to clear you so make sure that you have a way to keep the animals cool or warm depending on the weather. We came into Canada though Piney Falls on the boarder of MN and MB and then came back into the US through Nebraska and had good experiences both times.

I would maybe make the suggestion to Pilots that if you are planning a trip to Canada for vacation and have some room on your airplane, maybe consider seeing if there are any animals that need transportation into Canada! I have known people in Canada who have rescued dogs from the US, especially when there have been major disasters here in the US like Katrina.

As for Canadian pilots wishing to participate in PNP flights within Canada, I would ask an accountant if any of the expenses could be used as tax write-offs. I know all of us are doing this for the animals and not the tax write-offs but as someone else mentioned the write offs can help offset the costs of flying.

All of this being said, we will hopefully be making more frequent trips to Canada in the near future pending us getting our own airplane and if we have enough space would be totally willing to fly some pets!

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by admin » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:01 pm

skywaggin wrote:I know this is an older post but I just wanted to chime in and say that we have flown into Canada with our own 3 dogs and have had no troubles at all however the planning and filing of the eAPIS, getting your decal etc is a little more intesive and time consuming then your domestic flight planning. Another thing to note is that if you are renting an airplane, you may want to get a letter from the owner stating that they have given you permission for fly the airplane across the border. We were flying a club plane and did this.
Thank you for taking the time to share this valuable information. To my knowledge, Canada does not recognize a U.S. non-profit 501c3 tax status for donations. I have been told that Canada has their own system for charitable deductions though I am not sure what they are. Good advice to check with your own tax accountants.

I will also add the link you posted under our new FAQ links on the upper right hand side of every forum page. One is entitled Pilots and the other Rescues. Lots of good information there so please take a minute to read through them.

Thanks again,
Debi

BCGG

Post by BCGG » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:27 pm

Hi Debi and Chris! I am very actively working on getting a cross Canada air rescue system - would LOVE it to be a chapter of PnP! Debi you mentioned to me that PnP's name is registered in Canada already, so would a chapter truly be possible? To my thinking, it would be by far the easiest way to make things happen as things like recruiting pilots would be easier under the PnP flag, as the program is already so well regarded and also, being a chapter of PnP would give Canadian rescues confidence that it is a tried and true system.

I am a full time Rescue Transfer Coordinator with Animal Rescue Transfer Systems in Canada. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Animal-R ... 3136900838 ARTS have been doing ground transportation for several years now between provinces as well as some air transfers with the assistance of West Jet staff using their day's off to board flights with our dogs. This keeps the cost down to about $50 per dog which is paid directly to West Jet. Our challenge is that we are approached increasingly to help with more organizations moving from all regions needing more steady transport assistance and preferably flight . I deal with rescues across the country on almost a daily basis and keep hearing how much this is needed. ARTS is committed to making something happen. The sooner the better.

If expanding PnP as a chapter to Canada is not a possibility, are their things we can do to make it possible?

In the meantime I have to find that poster Chris mentioned here and in a note to me as I have volunteers now ready to post in flight schools and airports in a lot of regions. I will keep driving this forward no matter but I really would love to do it with you all who have the experience and gone through the bumps already.

Many thanks Debi for already being so supportive!!

chaero
Foster?: No
Airport identifier: CAH3
Distance willing to fly one way: 180

Post by chaero » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:11 pm

Hi Gini,
Sent you a lengthy PM this afternoon on the subject...the flyer/poster can be downloaded from the PnP Home page, Downloads>Flyer to download>Read more>download this flyer. Good luck & let me know if I can help.
Chris

BCGG

Post by BCGG » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:54 pm

Thanks Chris, I received your note and will be responding later - just got home from "work" the other stuff I do when not sorting out transfers! lol I found the wonderful poster but until we can overcome the "chapter" issue, I don't think we can use it as it is very PnP of course. We will look at it for creating our own poster in the meantime. I have some very keyed up volunteers who want to get posting in a few other provinces already!

One thing you mentioned was a need for perhaps entering data to expand a program. I would absolutely be prepared to do that. I am comfortable with a lot of software, as well as monitoring our chapter if needed OR find someone with the "right stuff" if that is the hurdle.

admin
Site Admin
Pilot?: No

Post by admin » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:08 am

BCGG wrote:Hi Debi and Chris! I am very actively working on getting a cross Canada air rescue system - would LOVE it to be a chapter of PnP! Debi you mentioned to me that PnP's name is registered in Canada already, so would a chapter truly be possible? To my thinking, it would be by far the easiest way to make things happen as things like recruiting pilots would be easier under the PnP flag, as the program is already so well regarded and also, being a chapter of PnP would give Canadian rescues confidence that it is a tried and true system.
Many thanks Debi for already being so supportive!!
Hey Gini,

I am not certain about a "Chapter" in Canada as you have different air requirements then our FAA, different charitable status process, etc. That being said, I would need to investigate the best option on how to go about this from our perspective and see if it is possible. There is a great deal of ground work, set-up, building of a website and forum board, the list goes on before this will work as you envision it. Meanwhile, you can certainly work on getting things started, lists made, a flyer to use, and so on. I am very happy to guide you though finding out your laws in Canada, postal code system, and so on is going to be up to you and your volunteers to gather all that necessary info. I will get back with you on the possible "Chapter" of PNP in Canada. I am thrilled that you have taken on this project, you go Gina and our friends in Canada!

Debi

BCGG

Post by BCGG » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:25 pm

Hi Debi,
I will continue checking into any legislation regarding transporting animals between provinces. I don't believe we will be requiring cross border transfers between Canada and the US so I hope that will keep things simpler. I did see a very helpful post on PnP about things pilots needed to consider which was very good.

I will also talk to a number of my contacts that operate larger rescues and organizations that do get considerable support and donations regarding Charitable status rules. For the most part I think we will be dealing with smaller non profit rescues with no money trading hands at all. Just volunteer groups helping other volunteer groups and of course the dogs and cats.

I know we will not be dealing with the same number of pilots or transfers as you do so hopefully what we need will not be as onerous as what you deal with on a daily basis.

Thanks for all you already have done!

Gini

whmz

Post by whmz » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:06 am

Hi I have been registered for a couple of years and fly a C172 out of Victoria, BC, I wonder why you couldn't find me here. Happy to help. Bill
Bill McAllister
250-882-3838
C172 CGFIC
Abbotsford, BC V2T0G2