Question about fuel costs and not for profit write offs

Just ask! Volunteer mentors are here to share their knowledge and experience.
Tikis_mom

Question about fuel costs and not for profit write offs

Post by Tikis_mom » Sun May 13, 2012 8:47 pm

I had asked a pilot for help with rescue transport the person mentioned they would need $500 to cover the cost for the gas of their plane per their e mail

"I would be happy to help but would need help with gas. My aircraft costs about 100 dollars an hour to operate and would take about 5 hours round trip to fly from my home base of FL to atlanta and return. The aircraft is a four seater so I could carry two or three dogs up front and maybe one in the luggage compartment if they are in small kennels."

Now I have coordinated flights with PNP pilots in the past (6) and never has a pilot asked for gas $ or taken it even when offered and I know transportation is a form of a tax donation and a write off as a 501 3c if you transport in a plane. I don't know if this pilot is new and has never done a rescue mission or with PNP or is this considered double dipping? I did get their e mail contact off the forums.

Any feedback is appreciated. If this is legit I am okay with this if not then who do I notify?

deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor
Zip Code: 46254
Foster?: No
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: Question about fuel costs and not for profit write offs

Post by deeogee1 » Sun May 13, 2012 9:59 pm

Tikis_mom,
Thank you for the question. I have brought it to the attention of the Administration to handle. There should not be any money requested for a PNP flight.

Joanne

Tikis_mom

Re: Question about fuel costs and not for profit write offs

Post by Tikis_mom » Sun May 13, 2012 11:18 pm

Joanne-

Thank you for the reply, I also sent the question on to the admin. I am trying to help a very high kill shelter in the SE with the process of how PNP works and how it can helpfully decrease their animals being euthanized. They are excited to try it. I have coordinated rescues with PNP before and I have never had a pilot ask for gas money. I thought that was fishy but I thought hey I may be wrong. There is no rescue or shelter who could afford that.The admin and I are working on this and educating the pilot who is new to PNP. Thanks for your help.