FYI March11 MISSING PILOT Joe Radford - Grand Canyon Village

A general discussion forum for all members interested in transporting needy animals.
Forum rules
Do not post transport requests here. Post them in Ride Board.
NAZZEE60

Re: FYI March11 MISSING PILOT Joe Radford - Grand Canyon Vil

Post by NAZZEE60 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:05 pm

Very nice Cheryl as it closer and closer to his year being gone it is nice to see that people are still thinking of him.....................................................

Liza007
Zip Code: 02563
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Airport identifier: 2B1
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by Liza007 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:09 pm

not a day goes by that I don't think of Joe.
We have lost such a true friend with such a generous spirit. He has blessed so many

NAZZEE60

Post by NAZZEE60 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:15 pm

So true not to many people out there with such a kind heart and a careing person. Those of us who knew him are blessed to have had him in our lives and he will be missed very much. I also think of him every day not one day goes by without thinking of him such a terrible loss in this world.

sunryse1

Post by sunryse1 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:44 pm

The one year mark is approaching and still so many of us wonder what ever happened.
I will forever remember the hero you were to so many animals and especially to Magic/Amber. Thank you for giving her love in her final day's.
Joe may you always fly high with all those furry babies that went to the bridge.

GetMeTherePlease

Post by GetMeTherePlease » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:01 am

Cheryl
Roads of Hope
http://www.roadsofhope.org
Attachments
097.gif
097.gif (96.58 KiB) Viewed 3252 times

arizonabsd
Zip Code: 85746
Foster?: Yes

Post by arizonabsd » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:16 am

I feel awkward relaying this information because I didn't consider that some of Joe's cohorts in rescue were still unaware of the full extent of this tragedy. Despite his great compassion for animal rescue, especially in and through Arizona, he apparently didn't reserve enough of it for himself.
Here is the final NTSB report.

WPR11FAMS1

On March 11, 2011, at 0820 Mountain standard time, an experimental Radford RV-6, N650RV, departed Grand Canyon National Park Airport, Tusayan, Arizona, en route to an unknown destination. Since that time, the commercial pilot, who was the sole occupant, has not been heard from, and the airplane, which was owned and operated by the pilot, has not been found and is presumed to have crashed. The airplane was being operated as a 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed in the area around Tusayan at the time of departure. No flight plan had been filed. There was no report of a sustained emergency locator transmitter (ELT) signal.

According to the Glendale, Arizona, Police Department, the pilot was involved in an argument with his wife around 0400 on the morning of March 11, 2011. Soon thereafter he was involved in a telephone conversation with an individual that the police report referred to as his girlfriend. During that phone conversation, the pilot stated that he was going to kill himself, that he had a plan in place, and that it was too late to stop him. About 0615 that morning, the pilot was seen at the Glendale Airport, and when Glendale Tower began operation at 0630, the pilot had already departed. After departure, he flew to Tusayan, Arizona, where he landed and took on 10 gallons of 100LL aviation fuel, prior to departing there at 0820. According to recorded radar tracking data, it appears that the pilot turned off his transponder about one minute after takeoff, as all radar data after 0821 was primary data with no altitude information. The primary track continued to the northwest for about nine minutes, with the last positive radar hit being at 36 degrees, 10.22 minutes North by 122 degrees, 16.36 minutes West.

A few days after the plane was reported missing, a package, which was mailed prior to the accident flight, was received by the person whom the pilot talked to by phone early on the morning of March 11, 2011. In that package was a letter within which the pilot referred to himself in the past tense.
http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief ... MS1&akey=1

Dear sweet Joe, may you be at peace.
Lynnette Bennett
North American Belgian Sheepdog Rescue
[email protected]

dennismckim
Foster?: No

Post by dennismckim » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:43 am

Thanks for posting that report. Yes, it is all the more unfortunate due to the circumstances, but I appreciate the additional facts.

RIP, Joe.

sunryse1

Post by sunryse1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:02 pm

Dear sweet Joe, I will remember you for your kindness and compassion to all the helpless animal's...especially to Magic. Fly high with the fur angels and be at peace.

GetMeTherePlease

Post by GetMeTherePlease » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:07 pm

Thank you Lynnette Bennett for the most recent update. A person's heart must really be in a bad place to take such extreme measures. How sad that he thought/felt this was his only way out of whatever drove him to continue on this path it seems he took.

Cheryl
Roads of Hope

MuttsMom

Post by MuttsMom » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:40 pm

I don't think Joe's personal life should be posted. That is so disrespectful to his friends and family who knew the situation and I don't think it's any of our business.