2 Advisors here to help

Just ask! Volunteer mentors are here to share their knowledge and experience.
suzy
Zip Code: 29860
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: 3 Advisors here to help

Post by suzy » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:12 pm

INSTRUCTIONS FOR PNP POSTINGS

1. Go to http://pilotsnpaws.org/ Click on Join Our Group at the top.
2. Once you have registered on the board index, you are ready to post a trip.
3. The first things you need are the zip codes from the sending and receiving rescuers and the weight of the dog.
4. Then go to "Ride Board: Animals Needing Transport".
5. Click on "New Topic" at the top left. In the subject line, put something like this: Atlanta, GA (zip code)to Jacksonville, FL(zip code).There are spaces for the zip codes, so you need to put them in again. In the message area, answer the items.All or most of the animals are in a desperate situation, so you don’t need to focus on that. Be clear and concise. Then submit your post. The submit button is on the bottom of the message.
6. You can estimate about 300 miles for each pilot.
7. After your message comes back up, click on "Map This Request" in red, top left. This will bring up pilot and volunteer information along the route. To just get the pilots (not so cluttered), instead of clicking on “Map This Request” click on the last link on that line, “Other Mapping Options”, then the first link for the pilots.
8. I have found that it is quicker to send out individual e-mails to pilots. They respond faster to e-mails. Scroll down on the left until the little airplane symbol appears next to a username. These are the pilots. The blue balloons are foster volunteers. I just start with the first pilot's username and click on it. This brings up their profile on the right.
9. Click on "View Profile" This will list their e-mail address bottom left.
10. Click on that and send them an e-mail. In the subject line be sure to put PilotsNPaws Request-Beginning Point to Ending Point.
11. I usually word my message like this: Hi, We need to get (dog's name) from ______to ______ to a rescue. (Dog's name) weighs __ pounds. Can you help with this mission? (You could also add if you have a time frame in mind).
12. List your contact info, name, e-mail, phone numbers, rescue affiliation, etc.
13. Copy what you have written before you send it. I always keep notes as to who I send the e-mails to because it's easy to get confused.
14. Then go to the next pilot on the list, follow the same procedure and when you get to the message of your e-mail, just paste in what you have written before. This makes it go much faster.
15. For long trips, you will need to find two or more pilots to fly separate legs of the trip. This takes more coordination and is harder to accomplish, but not impossible. You can estimate about 300 miles for each pilot, so if you have a 1,000 mile trip, you might get it done with 3, but it might take 4. It depends on the pilot and how far he is willing to go. After you hear back from a pilot, ask them how far they could cover. Once you have a pilot that can do one leg, start sending out e-mails to pilots listed along the other part of the route to cover whichever portions you still need. And in your e-mail, tell them you have a pilot for one leg from where to where. I just keep e-mailing pilots. Sometimes I'll send out 10-20 e-mails. Eventually, I'll get an answer that someone can do it. Sometimes I'll get several replies. And sometimes I have to go back to the list and send out more.
16. Once you have a pilot, then you can work personally with that pilot. PNP will furnish free crates and harnesses to pilots if they just request them from co-founder Deborah Boies at [email protected]
17. Someone needs to meet the pilot at the airport with the dog and someone has to be there to meet the plane to pick up the dog. The pilot will need everyone's cell numbers.
18. After I have everyone’s contact information and the trip is set, I send an e-mail to all parties involved and give them the information they need to successfully complete the trip—pilots and sending and receiving rescuers’ names, locations and cell numbers. The pilots will usually call the folks that they will be meeting up with. You can also get the tail numbersof the airplanes and follow their progress on http://flightaware.com/
19. The dog needs to travel ideally with a health certificate or at least proof of rabies vaccine. So tell the sending rescuer to pack a little plastic bag with some dog food, water bottle, a container for the dog to drink out of (like an old cottage cheese container), some paper towels for the pilot in case of accidents or air sickness. And don't feed the dog before flying. Also, if the dog is on medicine, send that with instructions and time of last dose. If you have more than one dog traveling, label the dog with his name and his destination (perhaps adhesive tape to his collar with info written with a sharpie).
20. Keep an eye on your posting by clicking on "View My Posts" at the top of the index page. Sometimes pilots will respond there. Also, when your trip is done, go back and edit your posting by clicking on "edit” and put DONE in the subject line of your posting.

There is a lot of information on the PNP index that will tell you all you need to know if you have the time to read it. But if you need further help, 3 advisors are here to help.
Good Luck!

Susie Cobb
PNP Advisor

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:56 pm

you should be able to download the attachment to your desktop and then open it. When you click on the attachment, your computer should give you the save option. It's not that difficult to post on the transport board. If you can post here you can post there.

1. Log in
2. You will then see the Board Index page. Scroll down and open the forum that is called:
Ride Board: Animals Needing Transport
3. Click on New Topic, upper left of that forum because your request is new
4. you must have both sending and receiving zip codes in order to complete your posting. Fill those in, complete your subject line, i.e. 2 dogs from Charlotte, NC to Akron, Oh, answer all the questions in the body of the message and any other pertinent information you might have.
5. When your message post is complete, scroll down and click on submit. It will then show up on the Ride Board.

If your the transport you need is longer then 250 nautical miles one way (approximately 300 ground miles) then you will need more then one pilot. It is not uncommon to have two pilots working together BUT any distance beyond that would be difficult and alternative options besides Pilots N Paws should be considered.

If pilots are able to assist you, they will reply to your topic on the forum board or send a note to you through email. You can then work with them to make all the arrangements.

Truly this is not difficult once you have done it. You are just confused as to where to make your request. It's the same procedure for every forum on this working board. Just open the forum you need , click on New Topic, fill in and click submit.

BethMcD

Post by BethMcD » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:03 pm

This is Beth McDuffie. I got posting the requests down pat...but now need to mark it DONE and cannot find the icon when I click EDIT...HELP... :?

deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor
Zip Code: 46254
Foster?: No

Post by deeogee1 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:22 pm

The Done & Cancel Icon choices are at the top. Go to your original post for transport & click edit and you will see the icons.

madcorbi

Post by madcorbi » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:31 pm

Hi wanting to set up a request for transport but in the zip code area is unable to work with canadian zip codes. Any help is appreciated. Wanting to rescue a dog in Saskatoon, canada to central Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Philadelphia or Baltimore/Washington DC airports.
Thank you for your help,
Madcorbi

suzy
Zip Code: 29860

Post by suzy » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:11 pm

Pilots N Paws Canada has been launched and is operating now as a completely separate organization but we operate in a similar manner to the US Pilots N Paws program.
Any Canadian pilots who see this post, please come and join us at http://www.pilotsnpawscanadaforum.com

Co to this link to post your trip.

Best of luck,
Suzy

broncosfan

Post by broncosfan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:13 am

Hi -

I need to know if PNP will work with a private adopter who is adopting a dog in TX and needs to come to NC. I suffered a brain injury from a car accident in 2006 and cannot drive interstates to pick up a dog. Also, this dog is heartworm positive and needs to complete her treatment which is cheaper in NC. Is this something PNP can help with? Please advise. Thank you so much. What a wonderful service you provide. Lynn

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:47 pm

Hi Lynn,

As long as this flight is for a service dog or rescue dog, our pilots will try their best to help. One concern about a distance from Texas to North Carolina is that this trip might be too far for our PNP pilots to help. Most of our volunteers fly 250 miles at a time. They sometimes work together to complete longer transports by flying relays. The longer the distance, the less likely PNP will be able to help.

This distance might require too many pilots to be in the right place at the right time to relay over 1,000 miles in 250 mile increments to be logistically possible. I want you to have this information so that you might also explore other options of transport such as Operation Roger. If you would like to post a request to the forum board to see if perhaps our pilots can help, please post to the animals needing transport section of the ride board.

broncosfan

Post by broncosfan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:14 pm

Hi -

Since the trip for my new dog is over 1000 miles could I post a suggested multi-leg route in my request? I would also be flexible for other suggestions in my posting.

deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor
Zip Code: 46254
Foster?: No

Post by deeogee1 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:46 pm

broncosfan wrote:Hi -

Since the trip for my new dog is over 1000 miles could I post a suggested multi-leg route in my request? I would also be flexible for other suggestions in my posting.
Yes, you can post a suggested route. You should also check into ground transport though. There are both volunteer & paid transports that are available.
With a trip this long, you will need to have overnight foster care lined up as this would most likely take pilots 2 days to complete and weather can change flight plans at any point of the trip.