*Attention all Members, NEW FAQ SECTION*

A general discussion forum for all members interested in transporting needy animals.
Forum rules
Do not post transport requests here. Post them in Ride Board.
Karen Lawler

Does the animal need a home to go to before it can be flown

Post by Karen Lawler » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:51 pm

Hello, I just joined and can't find an answer to my question. I live in Silver Springs, NV, a rural town with an airport right next to the shelter, and our shelter here has to kill dogs and cats because of over crowding. I have gotten the shelter director to agree to let Pilots and Paws fly out some of the animals, but how is the animal placed into a new home? Does a new home have to be found first? Are the dogs and cats flown to no kill shelters? How does this work? Do I just request a transport for each dog and cat, because I see how to do that, but where would they go if I did request a transport?
Would you help me because our shelter is crowded and it is so sad to see the animals who are going to be put to death!!!
Thank you, Karen Lawler
[email protected]

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: Does the animal need a home to go to before it can be fl

Post by admin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:02 pm

Karen Lawler wrote:Hello, I just joined and can't find an answer to my question. I live in Silver Springs, NV, a rural town with an airport right next to the shelter, and our shelter here has to kill dogs and cats because of over crowding. I have gotten the shelter director to agree to let Pilots and Paws fly out some of the animals, but how is the animal placed into a new home? Does a new home have to be found first? Are the dogs and cats flown to no kill shelters? How does this work? Do I just request a transport for each dog and cat, because I see how to do that, but where would they go if I did request a transport?
Would you help me because our shelter is crowded and it is so sad to see the animals who are going to be put to death!!!
Thank you, Karen Lawler
[email protected]
Karen, Pilots N Paws volunteer pilots offer to provide transport for rescue animals in need when possible. We do not connect sending and receiving groups those are already established before a request is made on our forum board for help with transport. The shelter needs to reach out and find rescue partners, establish protocals and relationships prior to asking our pilots for help. Please do keep in mind that pilots are only able to fly a certain distance, normally around 250 nautical miles and they are also very controlled by weather. One nautical mile = 1 minute of arc of latitude (1852 meters), or ~= 1.15 statute miles, so 250 nm ~= 288 sm. This is why all pilots are in charge of each flight they agree to make, they are the only ones who know when they can make the flight. We often see two pilots working together which doubles the distance but beyond that things do become complicated.

Hope this helps explain our part in saving the animals. Thank you for helping!

Karen Lawler

Re: *Attention all Members, NEW FAQ SECTION*

Post by Karen Lawler » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:31 pm

Oh okay I see how it works. Thank you! I am going to take pictures of the dogs and cats that the shelter workers think are adoptable and then post those pictures to various websites.
I will also call no kill shelters close to us, in the Reno, NV, area, to see if they will take some of these wonderful creatures. Thank you, and I will be posting a request for transport once I can find homes. One of the neat things is the shelter here is right next to the landing strip. Truly excited about this chance to help the dogs and cats, and I will be reading around this web site to find more ideas about how to get the animals adopted. Karen

Cotton

Post by Cotton » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:03 am

I think what you all do is amazing and you will be reward 100xs over for your acts of kindness. I am new to Pilots N Paws. I am not a rescue organizer or group like that. However, I am trying to rescue a dog that needs a new home due to her owner dying unexpectedly. This dog has no one to care for her. As of the 29th of July she will either go into a shelter or be put down. The young lady that died was my son's girlfriend. My son is currently a wounded warrior at Ft Bragg NC. He was diagnosed with a very rare cancer. I can't even begin to explain the devastation he is going through with the lost of his soulmate accompanied with the possible loss of her dog as well. A nice lady at the Johnston County Airport told me about Pilots N Paws and said you guys might could help so I decided to give you guys a try before I make the 40 hour round trip drive to MO myself. THIS DOG WILL NOT BE PUT DOWN...I promise you this!!!! If anyone helps me then that's great, if not I truly understand. Just wanted you guys to know that just because Im not a rescue group, I am trying to give a little dog a good safe and stable home where she will not just be a pet, she will be family. I am very sorry that bad people take advantage of your kindness. Makes me very sad for the way our world is these days. Thanks for listening.

Terry in NC

cindy56k

Post by cindy56k » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:12 pm

I am a person who has worked with rescue for a few years now. There is a GSD in Turlock California that I am trying to rescue. I am wondering if any of you fly to Alaska? I know its a ways but I am trying to save his life. I am again not rescue just a crossposter who lives in a beautiful land with 3 GSD's and 3 goats. I could have him flown here but I live on disability so I am trying to get some of the rescues I work with to pledge. Please let me know if you guys fly to here..