Documentation for Tax Purposes

A general discussion forum for all members interested in transporting needy animals.
Forum rules
Do not post transport requests here. Post them in Ride Board.
Zhumphrey

Documentation for Tax Purposes

Post by Zhumphrey » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:14 pm

All,
I am preparing for my first PNP mission and am wondering what documentation I should retain for tax purposes. Receipts for fuel and other direct costs are obvious, but is there a flight record form that sending and receiving parties need sign for proof the mission was completed or anything similar? If these questions have been answered in other forum boards I apologize. I searched for the answers unsuccessfully. I have also posted this same question in the "Pilot Talk" forum in hopes to gain advice from active PNP pilots.

Thanks,

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: Documentation for Tax Purposes

Post by admin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:48 pm

Hi Zach and thank you for volunteering. You can find answers to the majority of your questions by clicking on the Pilots FAQ section which is found on the upper right hand section of every page on the forum board. Here is the direct link:

http://www.pilotsnpaws.org/forum/faq.ph ... pilot#f2r2

There is a link to a form pilots are welcome to use to keep track of each flight they make and also a link to our IRS status. We were told early on by the IRS that in order for pilots to use our 501c3 all transport requests must be made and replied to on our forum board. Once the request is completed and marked as such by the person making the request, we move them to the DONE file so that if you ever need to refer back to them, print them out, etc. they will be available to you.

If you have any further questions, we will do our best to answer them.

Debi