ONE POINTER MOBILE, AL TO DENVER, CO

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
Mile High GSPR

ONE POINTER MOBILE, AL TO DENVER, CO

Post by Mile High GSPR » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:16 pm

Number of animals being transported:2
Breeds, weight, age: Pointer mix, 45#, 10 months, female & 1 yr old Pointer mix female, 40#
Health Condition: Excellent
Heart worm Status: Negative
Vaccinations: UTD
Health Certificate: Yes
Spay/Neutered: No
Special needs: NA
Name of Sending Rescue/Parties The S.H.A.C.K. & SouthBark
Name of Receiving Rescue/Parties: Mile High GSRP Rescue
Contact information (publicly viewable on forum): Gail Wise; [email protected]; 303-589-7279
Are you a 501c3: Yes
Additional Info/situation: Twilight was pulled from Mobile County Animal Shelter just before euth day & needs a ride to her foster mom (Gail) in Denver, Colorado. She is a typical 10 mo puppy. Thank you for help in getting her safely to Denver. Isabelle is the same temperament, just a couple of months older & from same shelter.
Last edited by Mile High GSPR on Sun May 05, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

murphey

Re: ONE POINTER MOBILE, AL TO DENVER, CO

Post by murphey » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:23 pm

I can do western-ish Kansas (KHLC Hill City, KHYS Hayes or Liberal (KLBL) or western-ish Nebraska (McCook KMCK, Kearny KEAR) to Denver (Centennial KAPA) any day, VFR weather.

Mile High GSPR

Post by Mile High GSPR » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:21 pm

Thank you, Murphy, for your offer & flight path; will keep you updated as things progress. Thanks!

waderoberts
Zip Code: 77546
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KLVJ
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by waderoberts » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:51 pm

I am in the Houston, TX area (kind off out of the way of a direct route), but I could fly a leg, weather permitting (I’m not yet instrument rated).

I could easily fly these round trips: Houston-San Antonio/Austin/Dallas/New Orleans/Monroe LA/Vicksburg MS. With enough notice, I could possibly fly further.

That said: These long-distance, multi-leg flights can take a frustrating amount of time to get coordinated. A change in weather or a mechanical issue on a single leg can cause the whole thing to fall apart. Most PnP pilots seem to be VFR-only (requiring certain conditions to fly), and the majority seem only able to fly on weekends. The range of most seem to be 250-350 nautical miles; if a pilot flies a 350nm leg, he/she almost always needs then to fly 350nm back home (though you do sometimes luck into finding pilots who are flying long cross-country flights). Most easily arranged transports seem to be one- to two-leg, one day, <700nm.

For transports of more than 700-some-odd nm, the need for one or more overnight stays en route are entirely likely. This means finding a willing pilot or arranging for a volunteer boarder for one or more nights. I’ve been involved in a few lengthy transports in which the animals had to be boarded en route for up to two weeks (weather, mechanical issues, or simply between weekend legs).

I fly these missions because I love animals (I have five rescue dogs of my own). The wellbeing of my transports is paramount to me. Long multi-leg transports by air can be very stressful, and transferring between aircraft and ground vehicles is not without dangers (on my second PnP mission, a collie panicked while the handler was getting her out of the car, slipped the restraint, and ran back and forth across a tower-controlled active runway for an hour before we could corral her; it ended well, but it very well might not have). And boarding en route can be stressful, and sometimes difficult to arrange.

I would consider and weigh all the options, including ground transport and transport by commercial air. I know the latter can involve an expense, but . . . . I adopted my latest dog from San Bernardino CA animal control. She had been adopted long-distance by a young woman in the Washington DC area, who tried to arrange transport through PnP. I signed up. After a couple of weeks, the woman got frustrated and backed out. The San Berdoo pound already had my name and number, and called to tell me that the pooch was going to be put down. I adopted her. Originally, I planned to fly to pick her up and bring her back, then I ran the numbers: 19 flight hours (solo, that meant two days there with an overnight stay en route, an overnight stay in CA, two days back with an overnight stay en route, three stops for refueling each way, and more than $1,000 in avgas). I was game, but I decided it would be too stressful for a dog right out of the pound. Found a ground transporter to pull her, and flew her to Houston via Continental’s PetSafe (still can’t bring myself to say United). Girl arrived in Houston in <4 hours, happy, tail wagging, and ready to meet the other four. Think it cost me $400. And it was best for her.

You know you can search on PnP, too, for commercial aircrews who are willing to transport gratis?

I certainly don’t mean to dissuade or disencourage you, because these things CAN work. I’ve been part of them. I’d just like to kindly suggest that you consider the stress and risk for our furry friends. I'll certainly do anything I can can to help you, and will happily fly.

Best,
Wade
Stephen Wade Roberts
N20223, Cessna 177B Cardinal II
Pearland (TX) Regional Airport (KLVJ)
Houston, TX area
cell: 312-806-8928

Mile High GSPR

Post by Mile High GSPR » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:25 pm

Wade, thank you for your response, explanations & suggestions! GREATLY appreciated! We "may" be able to move our dog + one for Great Plains Pointer Rescue in Omaha next wknd. . . .would you be available on the 27th & how far would you be willing to meet someone between Mobile & your home turf? THANK YOU for being so responsive & helpful!

Pointergirl
Zip Code: 45342
Pilot?: No

Post by Pointergirl » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:21 am

Hi Wade,

Are you available to fly during the week? We are working to bring the pup to Dallas this week where a rescue volunteer will receive and hold him. We have a driver who can bring him to Slidell, LA just northeast of New Orleans any day this week (except tomorrow) so we need two legs to cover Slidell to Dallas. Thank you

Caroline Marino
Pointer Rescue Org
937-681-6888

waderoberts

Post by waderoberts » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:02 pm

Caroline,

I had an issue with my plane on a flight yesterday, and my mechanic says that he should have her ready to go by Tuesday. I could fly Slidell-Houston or Houston-Dallas this next week, but the weather looks iffy until next Sunday (of course, that could change): rain, thunderstorms, low cloud ceilings. I'm not yet instrument-rated, so I need certain conditions to be able to fly.

Best,
Wade
Stephen Wade Roberts
Houston, TX area

Pointergirl
Zip Code: 45342
Pilot?: No

Post by Pointergirl » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:47 am

Wade -
I am glad you were able to remain safe during your flight. I may have another offer on this girl to take her direct to Dallas, however if you want to do a run toward LA or MS later this week, we also have another pointer in Lago Vista named Slim who needs to go to the northeast. I will be posting a multi-leg transport for him tomorrow. :D

Thanks,
Caroline

waderoberts

Post by waderoberts » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:07 pm

Caroline,

That's great news! I hope the offer works out. I'll keep an eye out for your new mission request.

Best,
Wade
Stephen Wade Roberts
Houston, TX area

Red Baron
Foster?: No