pup's second chance at life is expiring 5/22 (REPOST)

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
arizonabsd
Zip Code: 85735
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

pup's second chance at life is expiring 5/22 (REPOST)

Post by arizonabsd » Sun May 19, 2013 12:25 pm

Number of animals being transported: 1
Breeds, weight, age: Belgian Sheepdog, 60#, 7 months old
Health Condition: excellent
Heart worm Status: neg
Vaccinations: UTD
Health Certificate: y
Spay/Neutered: y
Special needs: none
Name of Sending Rescue/Parties: Animal Protective Association of Missouri
Name of Receiving Rescue/Parties: North American Belgian Sheepdog Rescue
Contact information (publicly viewable on forum): L Bennett, [email protected]
Are you a 501c3: AZ nonprofit
Additional Info/situation:
This youngster was pulled from the St Louis kill shelter the day he was scheduled to die. Some teenage boys had gone into his pen to play with him... naturally he loved it! Eventually the play led to nipping shirt sleeves and fingers, which is also natural in any pup roughhousing with several big boys. Unfortunately, when this was reported, shelter personnel felt they had no choice but to him put on the euthanasia list as a "biter" even though he hadn't bitten anyone. It took a lot of convincing (and I admit it, some begging too) for the shelter to instead turn him over to rescue.

He's an awesome dog-- no biting, great with kids, cats, other dogs, horses, even chickens. I do not want this boy to lose his life. But that's where he's headed once again. People wonder why I request such long transports; the answer is that while rescues of uncommon and rare breeds do have foster volunteers, they're widely scattered all over the country. This pup has been boarded and has also stayed with 3 local fosters but without a ride, his time is up. The current foster says he's got to move on... or else. I'm a small rescue with few donations so can't afford to fly him commercially.

I have been blessed with wonderful pilots for almost all the dogs I've requested help for, and I need your help again. I was one of 4 service dog training programs studied over a 3-year period ending last Oct in a program that was mandated by Congress to determine whether service dogs would be medically beneficial to soldiers disabled in Iraq and Afghanistan. Silly question, right? But the VA didn't want to run such a program so they argued against it. It took our US Congress to force the issue, and they wisely turned the task over to an independent research group. I was invited to participate. I'm not comfortable talking about it, I just want to do the work. Since the beginning of PNP you pilots have helped by getting dogs here for me to train and donate to veterans. I specialize in providing dogs to vets with multiple amputations, and specialize in my own breed because they can handle - even thrive on - such an enormous job day in and day out. I won't know for sure if that fate is this pup's future until I evaluate him in person, but based on foster reports, I think he probably has what it takes. But even if he doesn't, he deserves so much more than being returned to the shelter that planned to put him down.

Typical routes with favorable wx are KC-Denver-Flagstaff-Tucson or KC-Abq-Tucson (with or without a transfer around OKC and Dallas). Thanks if you can help.
Last edited by arizonabsd on Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lynnette Bennett
North American Belgian Sheepdog Rescue
[email protected]

Cactuspilot

Re: pup's second chance at life is expiring 5/22 (REPOST)

Post by Cactuspilot » Sun May 19, 2013 3:40 pm

Hi,

if you can get him to Flagstaff I can probably fly him from there to Tucson.

Steve

murphey

Post by murphey » Sun May 19, 2013 7:38 pm

Going thru Denver is quite a bit out of the way, the southern route is probably better and shorter. Looking at the map, Kansas City to Amarillo TX, then over to Albuquerque then into Tucson. Which leaves me out (Denver).

arizonabsd

Post by arizonabsd » Mon May 20, 2013 8:44 pm

Cactuspilot wrote:Hi,

if you can get him to Flagstaff I can probably fly him from there to Tucson.

Steve
Thank you Steve.
Lynnette Bennett
[email protected]

arizonabsd

Post by arizonabsd » Mon May 20, 2013 10:06 pm

murphey wrote:Going thru Denver is quite a bit out of the way, the southern route is probably better and shorter. Looking at the map, Kansas City to Amarillo TX, then over to Albuquerque then into Tucson. Which leaves me out (Denver).
Thanks for replying. Routing is always the pilot's choice, and you're right that KC to Denver isn't as direct as other routes. Several factors make it a favorable one, though. The wx is usually the same throughout a day between the two cities. This route bypasses TX wildfire country which at this time of the year can flare suddenly and raise havoc for air traffic. Also, it has worked really well for a KC pilot and a Den pilot to meet around Hays Kansas (HYS) for a handoff. Hays is approx 300nm, making it a half-way point between Den and Blairstown MO.
Lynnette Bennett
[email protected]