Shelter to rescue - Coonhound from small-town shelter

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
jdunham
Zip Code: 78750
Foster?: No
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Shelter to rescue - Coonhound from small-town shelter

Post by jdunham » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:24 pm

Number of animals being transported: 2
Breeds, weight, age: Bluetick Coonhound, 55 lbs, 1 year old; Black & Tan Coonhound, 20 lbs?, 3 months old
Health Condition: Good
Heart worm Status: Bluetick - unknown; B&T - too young
Vaccinations: None
Health Certificate: Intrastate - not needed
Spay/Neutered: No
Special needs: None
Name of Sending Rescue/Parties: Bluetick - Mt Pleasant Animal Shelter; B&T - Paris Animal Shelter
Name of Receiving Rescue/Parties: Country Hearts Hound Rescue
Contact information (publicly viewable on forum): Jerry Dunham, [email protected], 512-961-8398
Are you a 501c3: Yes
Additional Info/situation:

Two coonhounds are both out of time at separate small-town shelters in north Texas (Paris and Mt Pleasant). Country Hearts Hound Rescue in Houston can take them. We can get the Paris puppy to the Mt Pleasant airport (OSA), so they can be picked up together. Wednesday would be best, but we'll work with whatever you can offer. If other than Wednesday, arrival will have to be late in the day, since the woman from Country Hearts works at a vet clinic and won't be home until 18:30 or so.

Unfortunately, the weather looks unfriendly except for late Thursday. That may be our only chance before the weekend.

We are working on ground transport, too, but so far the earliest I can find seems to be Sunday, and I'm not sure they'll have room for both dogs. The puppy is probably safe until then, but I doubt the adult Bluetick is. Please let me know if you have suggestions.

Thank you for helping the homeless animals.
Last edited by jdunham on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
--
Jerry Dunham
Coonhound and Foxhound Companions
Tejas Coonhound Rescue
Texas Great Dane Rescue

jdunham

Re: Shelter to rescue - 2 coonhounds from small-town shelter

Post by jdunham » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:51 am

Here are photos of the two hounds. The Black & Tan is a 3-month-old puppy, while the Bluetick is a young adult.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7rnqpqbii833ylm/yqh5EpiKvB
--
Jerry Dunham
Tejas Coonhound Rescue
Texas Great Dane Rescue

jdunham

Re: Shelter to rescue - 2 coonhounds from small-town shelter

Post by jdunham » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:37 pm

UPDATE: The Black & Tan puppy has come down with parvo. She is being pulled from this transport. There's a good chance she won't survive, but a volunteer has taken her and will attempt to nurse her back to health. If she makes it, it will be weeks before she can travel.

:cry:
--
Jerry Dunham
Tejas Coonhound Rescue
Texas Great Dane Rescue

CleoBen
Zip Code: 45338
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KVES

Re: Shelter to rescue - Coonhound from small-town shelter

Post by CleoBen » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:34 pm

Hi Jerry,

There is a Dallas pilot on this thread: http://www.pilotsnpaws.org/forum/viewto ... =5&t=22917 that is bringing a dog from Houston back to Dallas. I've asked him if he could bring this pup with him on his trip to Houston, then pick up the other pup to bring back to Dallas.

2 for 1 is a great deal if you can get it!

If not, I may be able to help out.

CB aka TB
N24TD
Based at KCID in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. My range is about a 250 mile radius around KCID - Roughly defined by a circle including Green Bay, WI; Twin Cities, MN; Sioux Falls, SD; Lincoln, NE; Topeka, KS; St Louis, MO; Indianapolis, IN; and Benton Harbor, MI.

watson14

Post by watson14 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:06 pm

Hi,
I am making the transport from Houston to Dallas, but I am based in Dallas. I can leave Dallas around 9:30 AM and go to Mt. Pleasant with the idea of being there around 10:00 AM. I can take the one dog to West Houston airport (KIWS) and be there around 12:30 PM.

If you are interested in this double transport, let me know on Friday.

John Watson
[email protected]
469-323-7415

jdunham

Post by jdunham » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:57 am

I love double transports! We have a pilot planned for late tomorrow, and I'd be happy to let him off the hook. Are you transporting on Friday or Saturday?

Saturday would be better for us than the current Friday plan, since Kate, who runs Country Hearts Hound Rescue in Houston, works all day Friday, as do all of her volunteers. It's MUCH easier to get someone to meet a flight on Saturday. If your flight is on Friday we'll have to stick with the current Friday evening arrangement.

Please respond to my e-mail address, since I check it more often than the Ride Board. It's [email protected]. I should be up and checking e-mail by 06:30.

Thanks! I hope we can make this work!
--
Jerry Dunham
Tejas Coonhound Rescue
Texas Great Dane Rescue

jdunham

Post by jdunham » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:08 pm

We didn't manage to get the double together, but we did get our Bluetick girl where she needed to be, thanks to Alexander Fox. I really appreciate Alexander's willingness to fly so late and to hop to a different airport when our receiving person got confused and went to the wrong place.

Another successful save, thanks to Pilots N Paws!
--
Jerry Dunham
Tejas Coonhound Rescue
Texas Great Dane Rescue