Shelter to rescue - Black & Tan Coonhound puppy

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
jdunham
Zip Code: 78750
Foster?: No
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Shelter to rescue - Black & Tan Coonhound puppy

Post by jdunham » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:51 pm

Number of animals being transported: 1
Breeds, weight, age: Black & Tan Coonhound, 25 lbs, 15 weeks old
Health Condition: Excellent
Heart worm Status: Too young
Vaccinations: UTD
Health Certificate: Intrastate - not needed
Spay/Neutered: No
Special needs: No
Name of Sending Rescue/Parties: Paris, TX, animal shelter
Name of Receiving Rescue/Parties: Country Hearts Hound Rescue, Houston, TX
Contact information (publicly viewable on forum): Jerry Dunham, [email protected]
Are you a 501c3: Yes
Additional Info/situation:

This pup was to move several weeks ago with another hound going to the same rescue group, but she came down with parvo and was left behind. She fought off parvo, and has been healthy now for over a week. Since coming down with parvo she's not been in the shelter, but is with a shelter volunteer who nursed her back to health. She's ready to move on. Pick up will be at PRX.

I've been watching the weather in the Houston area, and it's not been very friendly to PnP flghts. It now looks like things will clear by Thursday, so it's time to start planning this pup's transport. If we can make it work on Thursday or Friday, it will have to end at LVJ no earlier than 18:30, since Kate, the receiving rescue person works during the day and can't get to the airport earlier than that. If this slides to the weekend, Kate has more flexibility and might have volunteers available, but she does work Saturday mornings (vet clinic).

Here's a photo of our little girl: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tfb0blwxxk36f ... 9_1_50.jpg. If you take on this transport, be careful not to fall in love with her. Puppies can be irresistible. :)

Thank you for all you do for the homeless animals!
Last edited by jdunham on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
Jerry Dunham
Coonhound and Foxhound Companions
Tejas Coonhound Rescue
Texas Great Dane Rescue

jdunham

Re: Shelter to rescue - Black & Tan Coonhound puppy

Post by jdunham » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:54 pm

It looks like our pup, Emily, gets a ride in a classic Bellanca CruiseMaster. I think we're set for Saturday morning, thanks to pilot Jack Fulford.
--
Jerry Dunham
Tejas Coonhound Rescue
Texas Great Dane Rescue

jdunham

Re: Shelter to rescue - Black & Tan Coonhound puppy

Post by jdunham » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:11 am

This story gets a whole lot better. Not only did Emily get to rescue yesterday, but she had company.

When a friend who runs East Texas Bloodhound Rescue (Kerrie) learned that a hound puppy was flying in on Saturday, she begged to be the one to meet the flight. We already had a volunteer, but the first volunteer bowed out in favor of Kerrie. In discussing the transport with Kerrie, I mentioned that there was another Black & Tan at the shelter that had just come in. Kerrie asked for pictures and a full bio, and the next thing I knew her grown son had volunteered to foster. That meant Ellie Mae could get out of the shelter, too.

Our pilot, Jack Fulford, agreed to take both, and our last-minute change meant that we doubled the benefit of this PnP transport. I love it when we fill up the planes and get the most dogs to safety that we can!

It also turns out that Kerrie is a classic airplane buff. I hope Jack can excuse her drooling all over his Bellanca CruiseMaster!

A big thank you to Jack, and to Pilots N Paws! Saturday was a great day for saving hounds!

PS: The icing on the cake is that a hound Jack flew to us a month ago got his new permanent home yesterday. All of these hounds are coming from small-town shelters that have no luck with finding homes for hounds locally. Teaming PnP with hound rescue works!
--
Jerry Dunham
Tejas Coonhound Rescue
Texas Great Dane Rescue