First dog-transport trip

Heartwarming photos and videos of our rescued friends.
Amelia
Foster?: No
Pilot?: Yes
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

First dog-transport trip

Post by Amelia » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:16 pm

I just flew my first dog-transport trip, and can share some of my concerns, as a non-dog-owner and pilot of a small airplane:
I worried, would the dog be clean, flea-free, calm? Would he get airsick? Would he need tranquilizers or other meds? My airplane's too small for a big dog in a crate. How would I confine him for his own safety and comfort, as well as for ours?
Fortunately, the people in charge of our dog-passenger really knew their stuff. The web post clearly specified origin and destination, with flexibility for each. He arrived having eaten only very lightly that morning, having been walked plenty, so his bladder wasn't full. He had a leash and a snug harness which was easy to thread a seatbelt through, and he was freshly washed. There would be no need for medication, as, they reassured me, "He rides well." They even provided a blanket to go between him and the upholstery. Perfect! The dog handled the trip with quiet aplomb, his manners were fine, he didn't seem to mind the occasional turbulence or being at 11,000 feet. It was a very reassuring first-timer's experience, and if all dog-rescuers provide their volunteer pilots with such a well-prepared animal, you'll have more of us than you know what to do with.

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: RESCUES PLEASE READ/PILOTS PLEASE ADVISE

Post by admin » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:32 pm

Amelia wrote:seem to mind the occasional turbulence or being at 11,000 feet. It was a very reassuring first-timer's experience, and if all dog-rescuers provide their volunteer pilots with such a well-prepared animal, you'll have more of us than you know what to do with.
Amelia,

Great to hear about your first transport being so positive! Do you have photos to share? It is the perfect scenario when the animals in question are clean and do not get airsick.

It is important to remember that many of these animals who have only been out of the shelter for a short time may not be as perfect as this little passenger. They have come through a traumatic time, some had families at one time who could no longer care for them. Others may have had families who just didn't care. Some have medical needs and baby puppies make messes it is just what they do as babies.

Moral, be prepared. Have your upholstery covered, have the smaller animals crated with an absorbant towel in the bottom, and ask your rescue volunteers not to feed them that morning. Preparing for all these things in advance will make everyone's flights a positive experience.

Tahnk you Amelia for making a flight and saving a life!

Debi