Collie puppyColorado to Pullman Wa. or Moscow Id for surgery

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
McGee

Collie puppyColorado to Pullman Wa. or Moscow Id for surgery

Post by McGee » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:07 am

Number of animals being transported:1 Story on Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/McGeeters or
YouTube http://youtu.be/4W5RQ5wbQmM
Breeds, weight, age: Collie puppy, 6 lbs, 11 weeks
Health Condition: URGENT!! McGee needs complex surgery at vet teaching hospital for clefts in palate or he will die :cry:
Heart worm Status: Negative
Vaccinations: Current
Health Certificate: Available
Spay/Neutered: N/A
Special needs: owner will need to accompany to handle breathing problems, feeding tube.
Name of Sending Rescue/Parties: For Pets Sake Inc, Leslie Taylor
Name of Receiving Rescue/Parties: Washington State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital
Contact information (publicly viewable on forum): owner phone 970-562-4721 Leslie Taylor
Are you a 501c3: Yes, being sponsored by For Pets Sake, Inc.
Additional Info/situation: Can drive to all pilots in Cortez, Durango, Telluride, Montrose, Grand Junction, Salt Lake City, etc. We are on the Four Corners of Colorado. This puppy has been given a grant for this surgery by WSU. Owner has raised money for flight fuel and hosts monthly spay/neuter clinics for For Pets Sake in Cahone, CO. This is a medical rescue under hardship. Puppy cannot fly in cargo hold of commercial planes due to supervision needs. Extremely sweet baby boy. Has forever home with owner who has disabilities and plans to train him for service dog work.

DTBorden
Zip Code: 59864
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: 7S0
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: Collie puppyColorado to Pullman Wa. or Moscow Id for sur

Post by DTBorden » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:31 pm

Frankly, this is doubtful, but at this moment we are in Branson, Missouri and planning to fly from here to overnight in Pueblo, Colorado on either Saturday (tomorrow) or Sunday to western Montana with a fuel stop in Fillmore, Utah. Our problem is the weather forcast for our destination and we'll probably fly to our alternate home in north-west Nevada until the weather passes in Montana. Please reply with details of the pup's condition and necessary care. A carrier of minimal size will need to be provided as we are already quite full in the cabin. We are familiar with the school in Pullman and have used their services several times.

Regards,
Donn Borden
406-241-5315

Siegmund
Zip Code: 59918
Foster?: No
Airport identifier: 88M

Post by Siegmund » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:58 pm

What dates are you aiming for?

if the straight-through arrangement does not work, I could probably do one half of this (based in eastern Idaho, and could either bring from UT/CO to here, or go north from here) - but am not free this weekend and next week is a bit TBA.

MNeely
Zip Code: 59808
Foster?: Yes
Airport identifier: KMSO

Post by MNeely » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:21 pm

I am based out of Missoula and could get down to Idaho Saturday to relay up to Pullman. Saturday's weather looks good, not so much Sunday.

jberry
Zip Code: 80111
Pilot?: No

Post by jberry » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:22 pm

Have you considered the vet teaching hospital at CSU, Ft. Collins CO ? A much shorter trip for a sick pup.

McGee

Post by McGee » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:30 am

jberry wrote:Have you considered the vet teaching hospital at CSU, Ft. Collins CO ? A much shorter trip for a sick pup.
True Jerry. However, WSU has offered $1000 in grant money to help cover the cost of surgery and we have raised the other $1500 via donations. CSU does not see to want to match that. Also, WSU has done almost all of the research on drug sensitivities and various other issues with Collies and herding breeds. Under this pupy's circumstances, testing needs to be done before the surgery to be sure he can handle it. I have a willing foster home to receive him if nobody can take me along as the handler but he mostly needs to be supervised for respiratory issues in transit. I wish CSU were interested - believe me.

McGee

Post by McGee » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:44 am

Siegmund wrote:What dates are you aiming for?

if the straight-through arrangement does not work, I could probably do one half of this (based in eastern Idaho, and could either bring from UT/CO to here, or go north from here) - but am not free this weekend and next week is a bit TBA.
Hi. I just spoke with WSU yesterday (Friday). We are looking at dates in the week of November 4 and forward. WSU sees patients on Tuesdays and Thursdays and does surgery on M, W, F. I'm somewhat flexible in that I can drive part of the leg to you. However, I need to go along as handler and he'll be there at least 10 days in the hospital. I would like to stay up there with him and fish for a ride home when we can. I know the weather is an issue. It's an issue for driving as well. If I got to Boise or Pocatello, I could leave my car and fly the last leg to get there and vice versa. It's not just the getting there; it's the getting back after the surgery, which could be at anyone's convenience. In short, I just have to get up there by any Tuesday in November or Monday night, and then figure out a return after he is cleared to travel. He will have a stomach tube in place. That means that I'm needed for the medical management at every stage.

Depending on weather and schedules for you, do you think anything is workable like this? Leslie

McGee

Post by McGee » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:52 am

MNeely wrote:I am based out of Missoula and could get down to Idaho Saturday to relay up to Pullman. Saturday's weather looks good, not so much Sunday.
Hi. See my reply to Siegmund. The dates are flexible and you would need to tell me which Idaho airport to meet you at. Then, if you and the weather are still willing, we'd have to wait about 10 days until McGee is cleared to go home and work out a reverse leg back to the Idaho airport where my car would be. The Idaho to Pullman legs seem to be the most problematic for driving, cost us an extra day. So as long as McGee is at WSU any Tuesday after November 3 or 4, time begins to run from there. That is about the time WSU is expecting him so we have a little leeway. Leslie

McGee

Post by McGee » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:01 am

DTBorden wrote:Frankly, this is doubtful, but at this moment we are in Branson, Missouri and planning to fly from here to overnight in Pueblo, Colorado on either Saturday (tomorrow) or Sunday to western Montana with a fuel stop in Fillmore, Utah. Our problem is the weather forcast for our destination and we'll probably fly to our alternate home in north-west Nevada until the weather passes in Montana. Please reply with details of the pup's condition and necessary care. A carrier of minimal size will need to be provided as we are already quite full in the cabin. We are familiar with the school in Pullman and have used their services several times.

Regards,
Donn Borden
406-241-5315
Hi Donn. I think we have to miss this one from Pueblo to Nevada to Pullman. The puppy's care is delicate. Food must be given either by feeding tube or by hand, if he will eat. After surgery he will have a stomach tube and the food must be about the consistency of infant mush to inject by syringe. The Feeding tube will bypass his mouth. Water has to be injected as well. Tube feeding before surgery has to be done by somebody who knows how to do it, like me. So it kind of sounds like you have limited room on this trip but it may be a trip that can be scheduled after November 4, if you are still willing. If your home is in NW Nevada then you must be close to the Idaho border? I grew up and went to college in Reno. Sadly, no vet schools nearby in the state, except UC Davis, and we don't have a grant from them. We do from WSU.

Best,

Leslie Taylor 970-562-4721
Cahone, CO (nearest airport is Cortez for general aviation)

Siegmund
Zip Code: 59918
Airport identifier: 88M

Post by Siegmund » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:43 pm

Weekends are easiest, but with planning ahead, flying a leg on Monday is possible too. Given how many Montana participants we get on this board, having me do Grand Junction or Vernal to Idaho Falls and someone else go across Montana to Moscow probably makes the most sense.
It's becoming a tight squeeze to fit this into one day, too, as the days get shorter.
If you did decide to drive halfway, I imagine somewhere for your car wouldn't be hard to find either.

Do you anticipate the pup having any worries with high altitude, or just with needing hand-fed?