Collie puppyColorado to Pullman Wa. or Moscow Id for surgery

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
McGee

Re: Collie puppyColorado to Pullman Wa. or Moscow Id for sur

Post by McGee » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:32 pm

Siegmund wrote:Weekends are easiest, but with planning ahead, flying a leg on Monday is possible too. Given how many Montana participants we get on this board, having me do Grand Junction or Vernal to Idaho Falls and someone else go across Montana to Moscow probably makes the most sense.
It's becoming a tight squeeze to fit this into one day, too, as the days get shorter.
If you did decide to drive halfway, I imagine somewhere for your car wouldn't be hard to find either.

Do you anticipate the pup having any worries with high altitude, or just with needing hand-fed?
McGee shouldn't have any trouble at 15,000 feet or less. Hand feeding is the norm right now. So we would need to set up someone from Idaho Falls, if you choose to land in Grand Junction (you would be closer at Moab or Green River, UT). How do I connect with anyone flying from Idaho Falls to Moscow/Pullman? Are you departing from Montana or Idaho to get here and what is the flight time? Are you okay with me as the handler/attendant on the leg? The tricky part will be getting back about 10-14 days later.

Siegmund
Zip Code: 59918
Foster?: No
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: 88M
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by Siegmund » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:37 pm

Ideally we'd get two of us on this board who are free on the same day, to fly the two halves of the trip. As your dates are flexible there is a good chance of that.

I fly out of Idaho Falls and it seems to be a convenient halfway point. About 300nm in the southern half and 360 in the northern. Each half about 3 hours in the air, in a small slow plane - some other posters may have faster planes and be able to cover that distance in 2.

Having you along should not be a problem, at least for me; I assume you'd want to sit in the back with the dog beside you? That's much more comfortable the smaller of a person you are.

I've not looked in detail at the route yet - but at a quick glance, Green River airport doesn't appear to sell gas, and while Moab and Grand Junction are the same straight-line distance from me, a small plane has to either go over Salt Lake or over Vernal; the straight-line path to Moab would go over the highest part of the mountains. Part of the appeal of GRJ was staying east of the high mountains. Lots of time to pin down the exact details, if we find a day that works for both of us and for another flier. Feel free to PM, too.

McGee

Post by McGee » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:57 pm

Siegmund wrote:Ideally we'd get two of us on this board who are free on the same day, to fly the two halves of the trip. As your dates are flexible there is a good chance of that.

I fly out of Idaho Falls and it seems to be a convenient halfway point. About 300nm in the southern half and 360 in the northern. Each half about 3 hours in the air, in a small slow plane - some other posters may have faster planes and be able to cover that distance in 2.

Having you along should not be a problem, at least for me; I assume you'd want to sit in the back with the dog beside you? That's much more comfortable the smaller of a person you are.

I've not looked in detail at the route yet - but at a quick glance, Green River airport doesn't appear to sell gas, and while Moab and Grand Junction are the same straight-line distance from me, a small plane has to either go over Salt Lake or over Vernal; the straight-line path to Moab would go over the highest part of the mountains. Part of the appeal of GRJ was staying east of the high mountains. Lots of time to pin down the exact details, if we find a day that works for both of us and for another flier. Feel free to PM, too.
This looks like a great plan to me. I only mentioned Green River and Moab because going to Grand Junction is a backwards drive. I didn't think you would have as many mountain issues in Moab but you would in Cortez. That is 30 miles from me. Moab is 2 hours and then, if you go right on I-70 another 2 hours gets you to Grand Junction. I don't know of other airfields but going west on I-70 or taking the cut off toward SLC shortens the distance for both of us. I'll go to Grand Junction if you think that is best. If you think a field in Utah is better then I'll drive there.
'Yup, I am small and I would be in the back with the pup. He'll have a crate for safety, of course. But I'll be able to reach in to him to clear his mouth and nose or feed and water him. The dog weighs about 10 lbs. and I weigh about 125 lbs. I can give each pilot about $200 for gas, assuming we use 2 pilots. I'll travel as light as possible, like 1 bag. Also, if the second pilot needs me to wait in Idaho Falls til the next day, I'll get a motel. It would be great to get it done in a single day but that could take instrument rating that might not be available. Look around at the airfields that will suit you best. We are just grateful for the help...and it will make a great story, especially if we do the same thing to get him home after he's cleared.

You guys are great!!!! Now I wish I had learned to fly when my dad was flying.
Love Ya Fliers! Leslie

Siegmund
Zip Code: 59918
Foster?: No
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: 88M
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by Siegmund » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:29 pm

I think Green River can work, though I'll have to stop in Price to refuel.

Perhaps we could tentatively aim for Sunday the 10th, and see if anyone would care to step up and do the other half on either the 10th or 11th?

McGee

Post by McGee » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:36 pm

Hi PNP friends. Well, The weather was MUCH more cooperative from Colorado to Pullman by road, but I don't know about aloft. I Just wanted you all to know that McGee has had a successful surgery in Pullman, Washington on November 13. We stayed until Monday morning Nov. 18. Then, because of weather, I had to make my way back home via Walla Walla rather than chance US 95 and the Snake River. Got to Ontario, Or. the first night; Provo, Ut. the second night and HOME yesterday - just before this nasty storm dumped on Colorado.

We might not have been able to set up legs by air but I want to thank you all for your support and good advise.https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

I can't blame any pilot for going through what I did by ground. The air up there must have been totally rotten. Now.... if the repairs don't hold well then I guess we will plan for a spring trip. But it all looks good now. THANK YOU!

Leslie & McGee
back in Cahone, CO