UPDATED: Please Help "da Fonz" Get Home!

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
threenorns

UPDATED: Please Help "da Fonz" Get Home!

Post by threenorns » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:53 pm

Number of animals being transported: 1
Breeds, weight, age: Plott Hound, 62lbs, 18 months old, named "Henry Winkler"
Health Condition: Excellent - UTD on shots, neutered
Heart worm Status: Negative
Vaccinations: UTD
Health Certificate: Yes
Spay/Neutered: Yes
Special needs: Boy bits might be a bit tender, as he just got The Snip
Name of Sending Rescue/Parties: Libby's Rescue
Name of Receiving Rescue/Parties: Laura Ann Briggs (Dogs Are People Too on Facebook, coming down from North Bay, Ontario)
Contact information (publicly viewable on forum): 705 498 0108
Are you a 501c3: No (N/A for Canada)
Additional Info/situation: Henry was a Deathrow Dog - only 18mo old, still a baby, really, and good thing he is such a good dog because he dodged the list four times, the shelter staff love him that much! He'll already have travelled from Georgia to Maine, then Maine to the airport in Burlington, VT, so we just need the last leg to his forever home and new friends up here in Northern Ontario. We are totally open to negotiation re pickup (subject to coordination with the Maine transporter), dropoff locations and dates. we'll pick him up pretty much anywhere at or above the canadian border - cornwall would be good, montreal would be good (except if we could not go inside Montréal, that'd be really great because Montréal traffic is for the birds) at a remote border checkpoint, on the Canadian side, it doesn't matter. I put the zip code for Swanton, VT, (which would be perfectly fine, too) because the listing can't accept Canadian postal codes.

I have copied this from dogbreedinfo.com:
"This breed makes a fine companion. Loyal and intelligent, the Plott Hound is quick to learn, quick to love and good with children. Its personable nature is surely not evident on the trail. This large-game hunter and scenthound has great courage. Determined, courageous and proud, it will play chicken with a 500-pound bear or a wild, angry boar."

In spite of the Plott Hound's superlative qualities and undeniable beauty, this rare breed is often #2 on the euthanasia list behind bully breeds and of all hound breeds, Plotts are the first to be euthanised, one according to a contact in a Texas animal shelter. He said it's because nobody wants them, suggesting a few myths that I'd like to take this opportunity to address. First, is the mistaken belief that Plott Hounds are poor choices as family pets - on the contrary, they are *wonderful* with children. Yes, they require outdoor activity, but so do all breeds. Yes, they are single-minded when on a scent, but so are many other breeds deemed "desirable" (in those breeds, it's called "being tenacious"). No, they do not bond only to one person in the family (this completely runs counter to hound psychology, considering they're trained to run in packs for the most part) and no, they are not stubborn and unmanageable. We have experience with a Plott Hound that was rescued last year and, once he got over the shell shock of months in a small cage, he blossomed and now acts as a service dog for anxiety and mobility impairment. He is also best friends with an autistic/oppositional defiant child. No matter what that kid does to him, Laddie will, at the worst, get up and go into another room or he will come to the nearest adult for assistance. Since getting to know Laddie, the child has calmed down and is now expressing new concepts - "be nice to animals" "be soft" "no hurting".
Last edited by threenorns on Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 13 times in total.

threenorns

Re: Dog - 62lb 18mo Plott Hound Buxton ME to QC or ON border

Post by threenorns » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:44 pm

hmmm... is this post visible?

Cessna386
Zip Code: 04444
Foster?: No
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KBGR
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: Please Help "da Fonz" Get Home!

Post by Cessna386 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:29 pm

Yep, I got your email but driving all day Thursday. I could pick up the pup in Fryburgh and head towards Malone-Duford near Covington, Location would be variable according to who/where the volunteer is. The only limiting factor is weather. My aircraft is VFR only.
Jim
N8218L
145 hp VFR Skyhawk
Based in Bangor, ME
KBGR

threenorns

Post by threenorns » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi, and thank you so much for getting back to us!

Malone would be fabulous! How much would the tab be, please?

Thank you!!!

Charlene

Cessna386

Post by Cessna386 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:50 pm

:-) this is a voluntary effort. Although owning and flying an aircraft is expensive, some pilots are satisfied with any reason to exercise their "wings" and stay current. No charge is involved.
Jim
N8218L
145 hp VFR Skyhawk
Based in Bangor, ME
KBGR

threenorns

Post by threenorns » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:52 pm

omg, you're a god-send!

:o

when would be good for you - are you available next week? he has foster care so it's not as deadly as it was when he was in the shelter but obviously we can't have him taking up space any longer than necessary as Libby's Rescue is packed to the max.

next, i guess, is to find transport from Malone to the border! yay!

=)

Cessna386

Post by Cessna386 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:01 pm

We just need to agree on a day for the transfer. I will fly from Bangor (early) to Eastern Slopes in Fryburgh. Load the pup, fly to Malone, meet his transport and fly back to Bangor. The days are short now and VFR flight on cloudy nights through high terrain is generally not a good thing. So we need to have a period of forecast clear skies for a few days.
Jim
N8218L
145 hp VFR Skyhawk
Based in Bangor, ME
KBGR

threenorns

Post by threenorns » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:05 pm

i think best, then, would be for you to pick the day - you're local to your weather and know what you need.

the foster is willing to hang onto him as long as she knows we're making progress (we're keeping her in the loop of all of this) so it's not like he's going to be on the doorstep sitting next to his suitcase 9am on wednesday or anything like that.

let us know when it works best for you and we'll accomodate.

=)

Cessna386

Post by Cessna386 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:07 pm

I'm on it
Jim
N8218L
145 hp VFR Skyhawk
Based in Bangor, ME
KBGR

threenorns

Post by threenorns » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:10 am

Just to keep things updated, we're clear for Burlington, Vermont, some time this coming week after Monday, now we need someone to get him from Burlington to the border or beyond (we're very flexible at this point). Updating the listing now.

Thank you, Jim!