USA TODAY article on PILOTS N PAWS! READ ALL ABOUT IT!

Heartwarming photos and videos of our rescued friends.
admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

USA TODAY article on PILOTS N PAWS! READ ALL ABOUT IT!

Post by admin » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:05 pm

Hi all,

Finally we can share with all of you what has been in the works for the past few weeks. Tomorrow, November 26, 2008, USA TODAY newspaper will have a feature article on Pilots N Paws in their pet section!!!

It has been difficult to keep this underwraps, we have been so excited, but with the publicity this will generate for our program, and hopefully touch more pilots, it was worth it!

Sharon Peters with USA TODAY is the caring columnist who contacted us after seeing a story that the national rescue group, "Best Friends" printed a few months ago. She has been working with Jon, myself, rescue groups we were flying pups for, and interviewing a few of the PNP pilots. A local photographer contracted by USA TODAY, Chad Greene, met Jon at the Knoxville airport earlier this month and went along on a rescue flight with pups from the Young-Williams Animal Center being sent to Jennifer Hart in Greensboro, N.C. Jennifer is a representative with the Animal Rescue and Foster program.

Coinciding with this USA TODAY article was a local Knoxville broadcast tonight by WBIR news reporter Erin Donovan. Erin wanted to do a feature on PNP as well and it is my understanding that part of the video she taped will also be on the USA TODAY website accompanying Sharon's story. The filming that Erin captured was unique in the fact that two Pilots N Paws rescue flights were being done the same day and both had Knoxville, TN in common.

Last Sunday, I met Pilot Mike Riggs at the Greenville city airport in Greenville, SC. This was Mike's first rescue flight and my second. Remember, I am terrified of flying but hey, anything for the pups! We were transporting a darling cocker spaniel who had recently weaned her puppies and had been taken and left at a shelter in SC. A wonderful temp foster, Robert, took care of this sweet girl until we could get her to Knoxville, TN to Karen with Cocker Companion Rescue.

Meanwhile, Vicki Brady with Doberman Assistance Network had been working with Illinois Doberman Rescue Plus to rescue a Dobe and three smaller dogs who were saved from a shelter in TN and being foster/boarded with Donna of South Overton Kennel, Boarding for Rescue. Jon, Erin, Donna, and Karen met at the airport early Sunday morning. Mike and I arrived about an hour later with our precious cocker pup. Erin was great, continued filming and interviewing everyone and then she hopped on the plane with her videocam and headed to Marion, Illinois to deliver the dobes and three little dogs. Roya with Illinois Doberman Rescue Plus was waiting for her new foster kids and the transport went as planned. Mike and I headed home to Greenville and fortunately, that went well too! The good news is I survived the flight but the even better news is, 5 pups now have a chance due to many folks who cared to make a difference!

The link to the USA TODAY article is already up online

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 ... scue_N.htm

Here is the link to the WBIR report

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.as ... 16&catid=8

We are requesting that all of you, each and everyone, please visit both websites, sign in and post your comments. This is important because not only will it show the reporters how much we appreciate their time and efforts, it will show them that PNP is making a difference and the more pilots we can recruit the more animals we can keep from being euthanized.

Don't forget to buy a copy of USA TODAY tomorrow! I will share some pics Jon and I took of both flights....We have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.....starting with all of you who particpate in Pilots N Paws!

Debi
Attachments
USA_TODAY_FLIGHT_GREENVILLE,_KNOXVILLE,_Ill_037USATODAYJONDEBIDONNATABOR.jpg
USA_TODAY_FLIGHT_GREENVILLE,_KNOXVILLE,_Ill_037USATODAYJONDEBIDONNATABOR.jpg (42.87 KiB) Viewed 5149 times

admin
Site Admin

Re: USA TODAY article on PILOTS N PAWS! READ ALL ABOUT IT!

Post by admin » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:07 pm

Here is a photo of Chad Greene, ChadCRG Images, photographing the rescue flight for USA TODAY.........
Attachments
!cid_002701c94cd9$abf64ef0$c700a8c0@your4dacd0ea75USATODAYCHADGREENE.jpg
!cid_002701c94cd9$abf64ef0$c700a8c0@your4dacd0ea75USATODAYCHADGREENE.jpg (58.37 KiB) Viewed 5142 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:10 pm

Erin Donovan of WBIR, Knoxville, TN............
Attachments
!cid_002a01c94cd9$abf8bff0$c700a8c0@your4dacd0ea75USATODAYERINDONOVANWBIR.jpg
!cid_002a01c94cd9$abf8bff0$c700a8c0@your4dacd0ea75USATODAYERINDONOVANWBIR.jpg (59.21 KiB) Viewed 5133 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:13 pm

Pilot Mike and Debi with the little cocker, Jenny Kay..........
Attachments
GetAttachmentCANLSV3QUSATODAYMikeDebicocker.jpg
GetAttachmentCANLSV3QUSATODAYMikeDebicocker.jpg (48.21 KiB) Viewed 5130 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:15 pm

First flight Jon did with Chad for USA TODAY.......these pups seem to know their lives have changed and they soon will have their own families!
Attachments
!cid_002801c94cd9$abf64ef0$c700a8c0@your4dacd0ea75USATODAYPRINTCRATES.jpg
!cid_002801c94cd9$abf64ef0$c700a8c0@your4dacd0ea75USATODAYPRINTCRATES.jpg (59.69 KiB) Viewed 5129 times

jnindel

Post by jnindel » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:44 pm

I saw the article in today's USA Today.

I have two loves: dogs and planes. I would love to be involved with flying your pets. I am not a pilot, although I took many hours of flying lessons many years ago. I live in Fairfax, Va, part-time, and in St. Augustine, Florida (south of Jacksonville) part-time, commuting between the two each month.

Is there some way that I can fly with the pilots who transport these pets? Perhaps I could help pay for fuel, in addition to volunteering my time? I am mostly available on weekends.

Thank you. James Nindel

coleview
Foster?: No

Post by coleview » Thu May 27, 2021 8:08 pm

A while ago now, but this is amazing!
Smoosh® Dog Transport - Epic Dog Transport!
https://smooshdogtransport.com.au